Saturday, August 28, 2010

Seeing Red

 
In a happy ripe tomatoes way! Finally!  We've had a few tasty Matt's Wild cherry - aren't they adorable?

 
I think so - as much as tomatoes can be adorable. But, I am finally seeing more signs of ripeness in some of our other varieties. I've been watching this big guy from the beginning:

 
He's the first tomato I spotted growing on our plants and grew just huge. I picked him as soon as he started to ripen because I didn't want to come out and see holes in him and regret not having picked him. So he's waiting on our shelf until he ripens some more - high enough up so that Lily won't snag an early bite. She would.

So excited!!! If caterpillars don't stop us we'll be rolling in ripe tomatoes this year! I think we'll have to do some canning!


Our back lawn is looking better too. Grass has never grown so well back there - too much shade, dogs running paths through it, or broken sprinkler systems to blame. My brother Andrew fixed the sprinklers and Mike and I threw down some grass seed earlier this summer and it was started to look pretty good! Then we tried some fertilizer with weed control to try to get rid of the weeds....that didn't work. It killed a few weeds, but left most and also left some large areas of dead brown grass! We were pretty bummed after all our efforts to make it nice, but we planted some more grass and have been watering and mowing and it's already looking good again! Can't keep us down for long - ha ha!

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

The backyard looks great! Probably the best I have seen it in 8 years! Hooray!! It's going to look so nice for Evie's party next month! Thanks for all of your hardwork!

Heidi said...

Cute little tomatoes!!

I think the grass looks great-- wish ours looked as nice! (It's a losing battle for us out here.)