Monday, August 9, 2010

Already?

This morning felt chilly like fall was in the air. It's only August 9th for pity's sake! I'm not ready for the summer to be over, and this weather makes it feel like it's coming to an end too soon! I read in the paper that this has been the coolest summer in San Diego for 77 years! Weird. Well, apparently I dressed too warm this morning because it's already heating up. Hang in there summer! 

One of the things I love about this area is that even when it's cold it doesn't get that cold. I used to think I'd rather be cold than hot because you can always put more layers on - but you can only take so many off. I'd lived in the South and in the Midwest growing up and going to school and had my fair share of snow. Then I experienced winter in Boulder, CO. Not too bad weather-wise over all because the sun comes out so much, but when it got cold it was bone-chilling cold! One night as Mike and I walked from where we parked our car on campus to his painting studio a few yards away - I seriously thought I was going to die. I knew right then that fancies aside - I would never have made it as a pioneer! I had layers topped with a warm coat and a warm scarf wrapped around my face, but the air was so cold it was freezing all the moisture in my mouth and making me choke and struggle to breathe! I haven't had much desire to live where it snows a lot since. Not that I want the opposite extreme. That's what's so nice about this area. Mild temperatures and the beach! I do love seasons though - we kinda miss that here. The explosion of color in autumn leaves... And it's so lovely to watch the green creep back over the earth in the spring so gradually you almost miss the transition from the dull brown of late winter. Suddenly everything is so green and alive...and you appreciate it much more than if it had been green all along. Everything is clean and new too -- here, for the most part, plants are kind of in the same state so they tend to be duller and dustier than they'd be if they were reborn every spring. I do so love the long gardening season, though! If you find a place with a nice balance of weather that's also highly affordable please let me know! We're still open about where to settle down.

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Well, cross AZ of your list. At least here in "The Valley." I don't think we have what you could describe as a nice balance of weather. Though it is affordable. (Hence why we left the Garden-of-Eden that is San Diego for the wilderness of the desert.)

Your much, much cooler summer has translated into a bearable one for us. We barely had any 110+ days-- fingers crossed, we won't have another the rest of summer. It was only a balmy 104 high today. Woohoo!!