Friday, August 6, 2010

Make It Stop!


Time that is. -- It goes by way too fast! My niece Evie is starting kindergarten this year, and before I know it Lily will be in her shoes! (I'm not ready!!!) I was thinking this morning that one major thing I had to get used to about being a mom was adjusting to so much change. Quick change. The minute you think you're getting the hang of things - something new happens. And I'm not just talking about 2-year old mood swings, but they are a doozy! I fear to suggest anything these days, because the answer half the time will be: "No, not (whatever I just said) !"

Sometimes I feel like I'm developing more patience, and other times - not so much. I've gotten pretty good at keeping a straight face and letting teeny tantrums roll over me like water off a duck's back. There is no reason to them - so that is really my best reaction. They pass, again with no rhyme or reason, and my girl is sweet as pie most of the time. I know it's just a phase that soon will change.

Children develop so fast, and we as parents are in charge of helping them be ready to meet life's challenges. We have to be one step ahead, but I usually feel like I'm barely keeping up! I can't think of any other job that could stretch or strengthen me in so many ways. I'm so thankful that so many things just come naturally so it doesn't all rest on my shoulders! Sometimes, I just wish I could slow it down! I really love this age tantrums aside. It is so fun to hear the things that come out of my 2 year old's mouth and look at the world through her eyes, to cuddle and comfort her. I can steel myself to a life of change for all of that. Wouldn't want life to become stagnant any way!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

You know, I hate to tell you this, but it actually speeds up even more as the kids get older (or you add more kids to the mix). The time I got to enjoy Marianne as a baby seemed much longer (short as it was) than the teeny little window Kyle was a baby. I was just thinking again this morning how I need to enjoy each moment no matter what because my time with my kids will be gone before I know it!