Thursday, September 30, 2010

Heat wave

A heat wave made it feel like these are the last few days of summer. Most of the summer has been cooler than usual, but this last week has been hot hot hot!

Monday, just when I was thanking heaven for air-conditioning, our power went out! There was no breeze and the heat was so oppressing outside it was actually better not to open the windows. I was stuck at home dreaming of the beach & trying to think of some way to cool the bedroom for Lily's nap without electricity (or too much woman power - I was not interested in overheating myself with extra effort). I realized a lot of the things I do in a day use electricity, so while Lily napped in nothing but her diaper - I stayed up in the room with her to make sure it didn't get too hot and started a library book I hadn't had a chance to get to (and had considered returning unread) by the light of our camping lantern. Two ...hours later the power came back, Mike got home, we grabbed some In & Out and headed to the beach! It was chilly by the time we got there, but we didn't care! We stayed until the fog rolled in and it got dark. I think we were the last people to leave. Good ending to the day!

Tuesday was not quite as hot, and luckily we had electricity. Mike only had one job and got it done early so we hit the beach again - this time early enough to enjoy the warmth and the waves!

I was not much of a beach-goer growing up. I prefer pool swimming to the push and pull of the ocean (which is hard on my knees) and don't much enjoy getting tangled up in seaweed. But the ocean has become a place of retreat for Mike and I. A place to just relax and enjoy our Heavenly Father's creations in our own way. Mike would stay out in the water boogie boarding or learning to surf all day if he could. My preference is lying on the beach reading a book or just letting my mind wander as the lull of the ocean and the sea breeze calms my soul. Now that we have Lily we have her safety and happiness to be mindful of. Lucky for me, Mike is absolutely in love with his daughter and enjoys playing in the sand and waves with her as well as getting out there on his own.

Mike and Lily dug and built and slid, and I got to read! Then I fed Miss Sandy snacks while her dad caught some waves. Lily said: "I want to go surfing!" She doesn't know the difference between boogie boarding and surfing yet...but Mike sat her on the board and helped her glide around on top of the water as the waves rolled in. We each enjoyed the day!

Wednesday was warmer too and we got out the waterslide in the backyard in the late afternoon. I've been enjoying the puffy white clouds in the sky. 


We don't see a lot of clouds around here normally. Usually it's all or nothing - totally clear, or totally grey. I love clouds, the play of light and the interest they add to the sky. Heavenly Father is the ultimate artist!

Look at that moon in the sky at 9:30 in the morning trying to pretend it's a wispy white cloud!

Well last night it rained and this morning is cloudy and cool! It looks like the heat wave is over. I'm so glad we made the most of it! I heard a little thunder and lightening a minute ago. Oh, how I love a good storm! Those are rare around here too.

Pictures from the beach:























 


3 comments:

Heidi said...

You guys were actually hotter than us, I think, which is saying something!

I loved the beach as a kid (though I liked pool swimming better too) but I didn't fully appreciate the calming power of the beach until I was older. I'm glad I got some good sandy memories in before I had to kiss it all goodbye.

Ashley said...

Wow, I love your beach pictures, those are SO stunning!!! I'm glad you found a good way to beat the heat!

Lissy said...

Thanks! I'm so glad we went when we could! :)