Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Harvesting



I know I haven't done a garden update in a while - I've just been busy, but don't think it's dead yet! We are in harvest time! At least for the most part. We did a little replanting: zuchinni, and new planting: basil - so we are waiting on those. But we have tomatoes coming out the wazoo! The last time we had a garden (sometime before Lily was born) all our tomatoes ripened at once and we canned them.


This time we've had smaller batches of ripe tomatoes, but still more than we can eat fresh. We gave some away, but Mike decided to do a little canning yesterday....trying to store up what we worked so hard to grow. He says he is never going to do it again. I probably should've helped him - we did it together last time, but I was busy sewing and determined to finish what I was working on. Canning isn't exactly economical when you consider all that goes into it... At least it wasn't for us. Anyway, here's the end result: 

5 jars of diced tomatoes. 

At least they will probably taste better than store-bought because they are different varieties, but Mike seemed a little unsure about whether he did it right so we will probably just try to eat them up quick.

Other stuff we've been enjoying from the garden:

It sure is nice to just go out and pick an onion when you need it.

We've gotten a few strawberries...

...and a few tasty pea pods here and there. 

One thing I love about gardening is Lily really getting to see where food comes from. It's fun. 

Signing off with some cute photos of Miss Lily trying to climb over our barricade into the garden.





2 comments:

Ruth said...

Your garden looks wonderful! I love those pics of Lily at the end. She is growing so fast and cuter all the time!

Baileys said...

Your blog totally makes us miss you guys even more!!! I know you hear it all the time, but Lily is super adorable. :)