Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Yard Work

Just after finishing trimming the hedges. For some reason this is a type of exercise I enjoy. Probably because I am accomplishing something in which the improvement is immediately obvious at the same time I am getting a work out. And it's outside in the sun. Plus it's kind of relaxing working with your hands and letting your mind wander - similar to sculpting. Every summer I get a longing to give these bushes a much needed haircut, every summer I have lived here and not been pregnant that is.

Curb Appeal

Well the whole family got into the spirit this past weekend and made-over the front yard! This is a picture taken in 2007:
The palm tree (which was not exactly welcoming you to the house) was removed last year and the front yard has been a mess of dirt and weeds since then while my mom and dad tried to decide what they wanted to do with it.

Well, we all finally got motivated enough looking at that unsightly mess that we worked like crazy all day Saturday removing weeds and laying down weed cloth. Notice even Lily got into the action!



My very happy husband. An unfinished project does not a happy Mike make! He is such a hard worker. He kept us motivated. We worked into the night until we ran out of bark! Luckily my mom called in my brother Andrew for reinforcements.

I wasn't so sure about the bark plan at first -- We were joking about putting a spot of lawn within the circle under the tree... but it looks so much better than I imagined. It's a definite improvement! It doesn't need watering, and it looks clean and weed free. We still plan to put in plants and flowers, and hopefully a curvy sidewalk in the future, but until then... it looks neat, and it's easier to remove the bark than weeds or rock when my parents decide they want to change it up.

Now! -- I just need some extra long pruning shears for the tree, and to power wash the roof tiles and the house, and paint it, and... I won't go on. :)

No comments: