Thursday, June 24, 2010

For the Birds

I'm feeling Discouraged. We got this cute little clear bird feeder that suctions to the window so that you can watch the birds as they eat. 


It's so fun - Lily loved watching the birds at the "bird seeder" eating seeds while she ate her breakfast or lunch. Eventually even squirrels or chipmunks (I can't tell the difference) started scrounging around on the ground - then actually trying to climb up the wall of our house to get to the seeds in the bird seeder. 


It was fun to watch all these animals at close range, but there is a downside. A lot more of them started seeking out our yard - birds were pooping all over our patio - and they don't just eat the seeds. We have a garden. Birds or squirrels are eating entire tomato plants. 

 poor little tomato
They made off with whole tomatoes (ripe and unripe) from a plant my mom bought that was already bearing fruit. An large flat of seedlings either didn't come up, or got eaten by something... 

In addition my To Do List has become categorized in an attempt to prioritize it - and it's ridiculously long. And I don't really want to remove anything off of it until it is actually completed - they are legitimate things to do! 

I've been trying to sew on this little gift for Lily's birthday that I feel needs to be done before Mike's brother and his family come visit us in early July....and I just can't get it or anything else done fast enough. I just don't feel like I'll ever be able to do as much as I want to do or become the person I want to be. There isn't time! That's why I haven't been blogging as much lately, but it helps to vent a little here. Any tips for keeping animals from eating your garden are certainly welcome! I think we aren't going to buy another bag of bird seed, but I debate about it because maybe they'll just eat more of my garden...? We'll see...

5 comments:

Francesca said...

Squirrels are bigger and have huge bushy tails. Chipmunks are smaller with not-so-bushy tails and black stripes down their backs. Your photo looks like a squirrel.

Lissy said...

Ha ha! That's what Mike says, but my dad & brother think chipmunk - because it's so big. My mom says they're of the same family maybe they're a mix. I was just staying out of it :)

Lissy said...

So it occurred to me later: I was obviously distracted or thinking too fast when I posted that last comment - chipmunks are smaller. Squirrel!

Jennie said...

Hey, when you start up your multi-million dollar business of tea party accessories I promise to be the first customer. SOOOOO CUTE!

Your cute too Lilly, but I know you aren't for sale... :)

Heidi said...

Silly hungry animals-- I know a family who built these big cage-thingys out of chicken wire that can be set on top of their garden boxes. They had squirrels making off with all their produce too. Maybe something like that would work for you too?