Friday, June 4, 2010

New Life!

 I just love watching new green plants sprout up out of the ground - especially plants I put into it. 

 
I love watering them. It's nice having a reason to go outside every morning. I thought it would be fun to post some pictures of our garden so that I can see it's progress over the summer. Mike put in gopher proof wire underneath our garden spots so our gopher population can't tunnel under. If they climb in from the top at least it will be easier to flush them out! He also put down bark where there used to be weed covered dirt so it looks much nicer and makes a nice path for us to walk around. My sister-in-law Rebecca got me the light up garden Lily and some other fun accessories for my birthday.

We planted tons of tomatoes and peppers in some more boxes by the fence on the other side of the yard, but they are barely visible over the top so I didn't take a picture of that area yet. 

 I love seeing new sprouts. It's funny how so many plants start out looking exactly the same - 2 green leaves and a fuzzy purple stem - and then change into such variety.

 In the garden spot pictured above we've got obvious yellow marigolds (which I never really liked before, but they grow in so nice and add color and keep away some pests I've been told so they are growing on me), zucchini, spinach, carrots, onions....
 
 
 We also planted potatoes in big blue buckets so we can add dirt as they grow and dig them out more easily.

We still need to find a spot to plant our strawberries permanently, and we've also got plans for peas and watermelon. Everything's still pretty small except that big onion we've been growing for years that's going to seed, but just the thought of it all makes my mouth water. Garden fresh is the best! Hoping it grows!

3 comments:

Francesca said...

Is gardening hard? I don't even know where to start! Not that I can do much here anyway, because there's lead in the soil.

brooke said...

i'm absolutely loving your garden! it's making me feel bad for neglecting mine though! maybe that's what i should do tomorrow! =)

Heidi said...

Everything looks great!! Hopefully you will get lots of yummy veggies out of it (instead of the gophers getting it first)!