It had been a while.
I did read a few back in the nursing days (multitasking), but I haven't sat down to enjoy a good book in the middle of the day for much too long. The house was a disaster, the dishes piled up and toys everywhere...but Lily was napping and there was this sun soaked spot on the sofa and a brand new library book calling my name. I love inter-library loan by the way - order online, when they come in you get an e-mail and you can drive by and pick up your stack in a matter of minutes. So, I actually cried through 2 or 3 chapters of this book I was reading...and I still loved it. It was still funny with a decent ending and all. Guess I needed a good cry or something, I don't usually cry that easily for books and movies, and certainly never for that long.
Anyway, if you know me and could have seen the state of the house (sun soaked spot or not) you would be surprised that I chose to read over clean, But I'm glad I did. It had been a super long week and weekend with so much rain, being cooped up inside with an active toddler, and with Mike being sick and mostly sleeping for several days.
I laughed, I cried, I finished my book, and then zoomed around to clean up as much as I could in as short of time as possible, because I really just feel so much better when it's clean. So it turned out to be such a nice day! I tend to tackle the day to day build up, and tasks that (supposedly) effect more than just myself on my 'To Do' list first, out of a sense of duty. But I think that just relaxing a bit - letting go of some guilt, and making some me-time made me happier and helped the day go better for my family too.
Good thing about the rainy week number 2: Lily actually went down for a nap in ways other than going for a walk outside in her stroller. I actually pulled out the Children's hymn book I bought when she was born and sang to her from it. (I'm sure she was tired of all my old standbys.)

4 comments:
Nothing like a book that makes you laugh and cry. Way to do something for YOU instead of cleaning. Every mom needs to do that sometimes. :) I loved to read while nursing, too. What book was it? I recently read a good one, called Tuesdays with Morrie.
What book was it? You've got to tell us now! :) I miss reading. I used to read all the time, into all hours of the night, and it's been awhile since I really got into a good book.
Which book?
The book that made me cry was 'The Actor and the Housewife' by Shannon Hale. Not the typical kind of book I usually go for, but the 'Goose Girl' (fantasy) series by her is awesome and I tend to check out author's other stuff when I find something good. It was different, but I really liked it. Some of the relationship stuff is just so real and funny (especially for the married with kids), and it's pretty fast paced so you don't lose interest. I haven't read much by LDS authors besides Orson Scott Card, but she is a really good writer. The 'Princess Academy' is also a good one.
Post a Comment