So I didn't make any resolutions this year, can't remember the last time I did that actually... but Mike and I made some family goals and personal goals recently - unrelated to the start of the new year - but just because we wanted to do some things better. ( I know I write horrible run-on sentences, but I'm trying to keep it conversational) Anyway, I made a goal to read my scriptures before getting on my computer. I set my scriptures next to my keyboard as a visual reminder, and it's working pretty good so far.
So Wednesday this scripture just stood out to me in the chapter I was reading. I thought about blogging about it, but didn't. I always put my bookmark facing the page I should start reading on next time, and I usually try to make it to the end of a chapter. I forgot my goal on Thursday, but today began again. I remember having finished my chapter last time at the beginning of a new page, but somehow my bookmark was back on the page before, and I read that same scripture over again, and it just kind of made me think...and laugh - so I will share.
The chapter is about Adam and Eve, free agency and opposition. This verse struck me:
23 And they would have had no children; wherefore they would have remained in a state of innocence, having no joy, for they knew no misery; doing no good, for they knew no sin.
Now...just looking at this verse by itself...Doesn't that kinda sound like:
You don't know misery until you have children! Or joy either, of course.
It did to me. Ha Ha, but seriously... I have known more joy and misery since having a child. Yes, labor is miserable, but I'm not just talking about when children physically hurt you or bring trouble to your door... it's just that...whenever you love someone that much - you share in their pain and sorrows. I heard this quote once that says, "Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." So well-expressed.
But it's not all misery, of course. It's so fun to watch a child grow and share in their joys and triumphs - to see how beautiful and magical the world is when you see it again through a child's eyes. It's no surprise to me that the Savior asks us to be more like little children, and I think it's easier for us to follow that counsel when we are surrounded by them.
I also think having a child makes you more mature and responsible, and makes you do more good, at least when you care to take it seriously. No, I am not saying you have to have a child to be mature or responsible. I was a responsible person before, and thought I was fairly mature. ::Ahem-hem:: Well, I have certainly become more so with being a mother. There are just extra challenges and things required of you with being a parent that change your outlook and your priorities.
So for people out there who say it's better not to have kids... I say bosh! It's hard, it's life-changing, it can bring you to your knees. But it brings great blessings into your life and greater joy than you have ever experienced - and I'm not being sappy. That's the straight truth. Now go thank your parents.
A Little Lost
4 weeks ago

3 comments:
Amen!! :)
Wow, I never thought about it (the verse) that way, but you're right! And I like that quote you shared too. Everything you said was definitely uplifting to me--this small period of pain will lead to an eternity of joys!
I feel the EXACT same way, Lissy!
Post a Comment