We had a valentine party at Lily's preschool this week. I'm so glad we are doing this Mommy and me preschool! Lily is warming up to it slowly, but surely. She did SO much better yesterday - she'd still rather dance with a puppet than a pom pom, but she's kind of dancing with it!, and she joined in ring around the rosy - holding the teacher's hand (!!!), she went out to the playground with her uncle and cousins while I stayed in to help set up the potluck in the classroom, and even stayed in the story time circle without me while I was helping clean up! I am amazed by every bit of it because sometimes when we are home she doesn't even want to go in the next room without me holding her hand! ("Something's gonna get me!") I know sometimes it's just because she doesn't want to retrieve whatever I asked her to, but other times it's legitimate fear.
The teacher posted this awesome double sided handout on the characteristics of a two year old, and a two and a half year old, and techniques for parents. I was amazed at how on target some of the things were. Like: "she is less sure of herself than she was at two and may become bossy and demanding." and "more interaction with other children, but even more need to protect what is hers (which in her mind is everything) and dominate." "a time of opposite extremes for the child. She chooses red, then wants blue. She says no, but means yes." Oh yes! Been there. It was nice to read these things and know that these are normal phases kids go through. There were good things in there too, like: "can be appreciative and loving" Lately Lily has been telling me at different times "You're the best Momma!" with a true ring to it and hugs and kisses, too. It is so sweet! Kinda makes up for those not so sweet moments :) I'm never sure if she really means it when she says she's sorry... She always throws in some flippant addition to it that doesn't make it ring true - like: "I'm sorry doodle!" or "I'm sorry, Momma ducko ducko" Usually it's some version of "doodle" - it's so funny - like it's compulsive and she just can't leave it off!
Anyway -- it was a super fun day and I took loads of pictures so here are my favorites:
Audrey and Lily before preschool
making her valentine bag
Matt making Audrey's headband :)
Hugs for Audrey
Cute Aujinay!
-- Don't even think about touching my people!! --
Basket heads
Joining in the fun!
Opening her valentines at home:
...but not with this hat Mom, really!
What a stash! Valentines are so fun!
More valentine fun to come!
















1 comment:
Always helpful to know that our kids are more or less normal, right? :-) I'm glad she's getting more used to preschool-- it looks like fun!
Post a Comment