Sunday, February 6, 2011

A Name for the Wall

I've been debating about what to hang in the space over Lily's bed since she was born. I know... I tend to over-think things! I obviously didn't want to put anything heavy that might fall on her, and then after we got her crib tent there was only so much space there - and would she or we really look through to see whatever it was? It was kind of awkward --so it got put off even more... Now with her little low toddler bed the blank spot on the wall could no longer be ignored! I have a couple of designs in the works for wall quilts I really want to do, but I decided to start with my easiest idea first. (So something would be done!) So I made paper mache letters to spell Lily's name. It doesn't really fill up the wall the way I wanted to, but better than nothing!! I can always move them around if I ever do get a wall quilt or something else done. I am excited to have something up all the time with Lily's name on it so she can learn to recognize it.

My plan was to make paper mache letters and then decoupage the front of them with fabric to match Lily's bed quilt, and just paint the sides. I made the letters with cardboard:


Covered that in paper:
  Sanded them slightly, and got a little help from Lily to paint the sides.

When I dug around in my scrap bag I realized I didn't have enough fabric left over from her quilt to cover the fronts. I really didn't want to spend money on this for goodness sake - so I scanned in the fabric scraps, collaged them in photoshop - just the right size for each letter (so as not to waste any ink) - and printed it out. Easier and better looking than it would have been otherwise, I am sure! A little Elmer's glue and spray finish and they were good to go!


I cut some holes in the back and stuck broken crayons through them to help me mark spots on the wall to hammer the nails as I hung them up. Just above where Lily can reach.



It's not perfect. I might still move them around because I kind of liked them better at odd angles... but I think it turned out pretty good! 

 Lily had fun with it too :)

2 comments:

Heidi said...

Wow, that looks great!! What a talent you have, Lissy!!!

Emily said...

Wish I had half your creativity! :-)