It's finally the weekend of love. Ours has gotten off to a good start already, and we aren't even doing our real celebrating until Monday! Lily has been asking me to make valentines since the beginning of January when she found a free Disney magazine with valentine ideas in it she couldn't stop flipping through. I decided to get the materials to make one of the valentine ideas in the magazine, we already had leftover candy canes, but since it was edible I kept telling her we'd have to wait until closer to Valentine's Day to make them. She was excited to finally start making some valentine art in preschool and have a party this week to exchange valentines. I just love celebrating holidays so much more with a kid! It's becomes more exciting seeing everything through their eyes! And let's face it - through they do get over-commercialized - holidays give even us adults something to look forward to to bring us out of the daily grind. Good stuff.
Anyway, as we were driving home one night after a trip to the grocery store Mike was cracking me up recounting a conversation he'd overheard among 3 single ladies in the checkout line. He said they were asking each other what they expected to get for Valentine's day (none of them expected anything) He thought it was so funny saying: "I didn't think girls talked like that except for in the movies!" I said: "Well, girls don't talk like that in front of guys because they're still hoping their guy will get them something." Mike said: "Well, it is different for guys. Guys just hope they'll have a date for Valentine's Day." Me: "But without doing anything for the girl?...You don't even remember - you've been married almost 10 years!" (And I wouldn't exactly call myself high maintenance) Mike: "That's true - I probably don't remember." (I know he doesn't.) I don't expect overpriced flowers, or want stuffed animals or cheesy heart shaped junk, but I always like a little thoughtful bit of romance. Who doesn't? Anyway, so far so good this year. Mike is taking the day off work to spend with his girls, and there is a tantalizing little package waiting for me on our bookshelf. Even if he didn't get me anything I think he's pretty sweet. After that conversation we started remembering back to valentine exchanges in school. Those were the days! You got to decorate your own valentine mail box for your desk. Always so fun. And then you'd go though all your valentines and give the coolest ones to the people you liked the most, and the crummier ones to the people you didn't. And sometimes you'd add those chalky conversation hearts to the envelopes - selecting cryptic messages for the person you were crushing on so maybe if they liked you back they would get the message, but if they didn't you could deny any meaning behind it. Love is so much more complicated until two people admit to liking each other and just move on with it. And so much more complicated when you are super young and can only move so far!
Anyway, we finally made our candy cane valentine lollipops when Lily's cousins came over the other afternoon. They turned out pretty cute, and smell pretty yummy too! These pictures were so full of personality it was hard not to post a bunch, but trust me - I did pick and choose! I love these girls! :)
Wishing you a Happy Valentine's Weekend!!













3 comments:
I love the holidays with the kids too. I used to do more holiday crafts and projects with them but lately it seems I'm too swamped to remember before the holiday is over...I think I need to make that a higher priority.
I remember those Valentine parties at school, just like you talked about!! I feel kind of bad for my kids because they have to bring in Valentines with no names on them (so it doesn't take so much time to just run around and drop them in everyone's envelopes or bags). Takes half the fun out of it.
SOOOO adorable! I saw that idea and wanted to make those too, but I didn't have any mini candy canes and of course it's impossible to find them this time of year. I need to remember to stock up on some next December so I can make them next year!
I couldn't find any mini candy canes either so we cut the end off the regular sized ones we had leftover and used larger cookie sticks, and more white chocolate chips of course. I couldn't believe how easy it was..the hardest part was getting the hot candy canes to stay around the stick. Slightly painful...and our candy canes got crumbly - probably because they were aged - a year old :)
Post a Comment