Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Crazy Crazy

A couple weeks ago Lily wanted me to get out the crazy quilt I made for my kids before she was born. She was acting silly and pretending to be a baby again, probably because she remembered that was the last time we'd pulled it out!

The quilt was sort of a collaboration between Mike's mom Elsie and me. She is amazing at embroidery and had made 2 twin size quilts for her boys when they were little - both of which Mike ended up with. One had animals, and one had Indian designs. They were sewn together with alternating blocks of brown fabric that had become stained and torn. They were getting pretty worn, but I loved the embroidered designs and hated the idea of just throwing them away, or letting them be used to wrap around our furniture any time we moved. We had so many quilts and so little space Mike just wouldn't let me keep all of them! I thought it would be cool to save and preserve them by combining them into 1 smaller baby quilt that all our kids could use. Mike's grandma loves making crazy quilts, and I thought with all the colors and the variety of designs that would be a fitting way to put them all together. I cut out the designs and tried to match the colors with some solid fabrics in a crazy diamond block pattern. I even did a little embroidery to finish some designs that weren't quite done, and signed it made with love by me and Mike's mom. It was cool to be able to look at her work as I tried my hand at embroidery. It turned out pretty crazy, but I love it - and more importantly Lily loves it! Plenty of visual stimulation here - perfect for tummy time! It was fun when Lily would start to point out the different animals she recognized in the quilt as she was learning to talk. I think it's cool that Lily and any other future kids we have can share something their dad used and loved when he was a little boy.

Anyway, as Lily laid down on the quilt I remembered a picture I'd taken of her on it as a baby, so I had to grab my camera and take another. I realized later one was at 3 months, and the other at 30 months! Isn't it crazy how much she's changed and how fast kids grow!?

3 months

30 months

Baby Girl

Big Girl

4 comments:

Allison said...

Great idea! I love the embroidery too! It's fun to see her at different ages with the same quilt. Adorable!

Heidi said...

That is so cool! Great that you remembered that you had the 3 month pics so you could do "growing-up" shots. Those are sometimes the most fun to look at! (Or the most likely to make you cry.)

Ruth said...

Love it! That is such a beautiful quilt, too! And even more special because of its history. And no, I can't believe how much she's changed and grown up! Every time I see a photo of your sweet Lily I can't help but think of how good of friends our girls would be if they lived near each other!

Ashley said...

Very cool to see the comparison pictures! And wow, what a fun, colorful quilt, I love it!