Monday, October 25, 2010

Pumpkin Picking

We went to our local Pumpkin Patch a few weeks ago. It's always fun for us to get out and do something fun just the three of us. It seems like we don't do that kind of thing enough. We had so much fun going to Bates Nut Farm last year - I couldn't resist looking back at some photos to see how much Lily has grown. I had to throw in a couple flashback photos in the mix. What a difference a year makes! Lily is so much more willing to smile now - she was not a very smiley baby... I totally had to tease them out of her :) 

So this year - I dressed Lily up in the Halloween skirt I'd made and we headed out. We ate lunch at out favorite little deli in Escondido and then drove out to the farm. Last year we plopped Lily down in the middle of piles of pumpkins after she'd just woken up from a nap in the car - she totally reacted like she was dropped on some alien planet! --Definitely out of her comfort zone. This year she was much more at ease! She climbed all over the big pumpkins and just had a blast checking out everything and especially looking at all the animals. But her favorite, favorite part was definitely her first taste of candy corn! I promised her we'd get some before we left and she threw her arms in the air shouting 'candy corn' in joyful anticipation! Lily's a candy lover just like her mama, but we don't usually have it around. She cannot wait until Halloween! We played trick or treat one day recently and I put some little toys from her toy box in her bag each time she knocked on the door, and then gave her a lollipop I'd saved for her at the very end. - She just wants to play trick or treat all the time now! I keep telling her she'll get more candy at Halloween and she's so ready for it! I think if she had it her way it would be Christmas, Halloween, or her birthday every day of the year. I'm sure she talks about birthdays at least once every day. I'm just surprised she still remembers Christmas, but her life is still short - I guess she probably remembers almost everything.

Our trip to the Pumpkin Patch 2010:

 Waiting for dad in the front yard.

 My baby waiting to go last year - I think that was my first attempt at pig tails!





 I love this picture from last year! It was like the one semi-smiley picture I got!

 Much more playful this year! :)


 At the farm..

 Pumpkin climbing in the real patch






 Check out the chubby cheeks and tiny flying pigtails!

 No pictures, please!


 Definitely more confident this year!

 Is that a jack-o-lantern-like smile!?

 Checking out farm animals with dad.



 Daddy-daughter love!

 Lily and her dad chillin' in the shade last year. Lily's not the only one who sometimes needs teasing to smile. :)




 Last year's farmer

 Farmer Lily 2010

 Lily happily waiting with our pumpkins for her dad to pick us up. 

It was a fun day. Now we just need to carve our pumpkins and we'll be all ready for Halloween!

2 comments:

Heidi said...

What a fun family tradition! What a treat to see Lily from both years. Your post kind of makes me feel like a crummy mom though. We never go hunting for pumpkins, though I always thought pumpkin patches were such fun as a kid. The only reason my kids seem to get to carve any is because my mother picks some up so they can do it at her house! I keep saying that next year we'll do something, when things have calmed down, but every year I'm more frazzled still.

Julie and Matt said...

It looks like you guys had so much fun! I love the pictures of Lily in the sea of pumpkins. She is darling.