Saturday, October 9, 2010

First Prayer

I've not been very good about praying with Lily every night, though I have personal prayer throughout the day - but I guess kids are just extra good at picking up on spiritual things. Recently Lily has been the first to remind us to say a blessing over the food. And it's so cute to hear her repeating after me as I say our simple evening prayer. Still, the other night I was shocked to hear her say her first prayer all on her own! She and I were squatting on our sitting room floor and she sounded like she was trying to start a prayer so I started her out: "Heavenly Father..." She repeated and then went on to say (as I always do): "Thank you for this day..." but then she kept going: "Thank you for give us some cheese. Thank you for animals. Thank you for plants. Thank you for palm trees. One palm tree, not 2 palm trees --- Amen." She probably would've kept going from there, but the palm tree thing was cracking me up and not knowing what she would come out with next -- I kind of encouraged the Amen. Now I kinda wish I had just let her go on, I mean she's an innocent little child it's not like Heavenly Father was going to get mad at her! Ha :) I just have this horror of being disrespectful because of the awful feeling I remember having after I was cheeky with Heavenly Father in a family prayer one time when I was a kid. I wasn't even 8 years old. I wasn't even that cheeky. Our family had been searching and searching for a house to buy to get us out of the rental we were living in, and I guess I was getting impatient. I asked for Him to help our family to find a new home..."Right NOW"! (finishing very indignantly and rudely) I felt so ashamed at speaking to my Heavenly Father that way. I still feel bad about it. The ironic thing is... I'm pretty sure the answer to my prayer came really fast after that. It's a testimony to me that Heavenly Father loves little children. By the way,  I'm pretty sure Lily's prayer was inspired by the little 'book' we made in nursery that week. (Just one palm tree.)

4 comments:

Heidi said...

Little kids' prayers are awesome, wonderful (and entertaining) things. I'm sure Heavenly Father loves everything they come up with.

We spent a little too much effort trying to teach Marianne to pray "appropriately" and now the problem is that as a 9 year old, she freezes up and can't think of anything to say for fear that she will say the wrong thing. Now trying to encourage her to say whatever she feels...but it's an uphill battle.

Jessica said...

I LOVE it! When Sean prays over the food, his "taste good to us" sounds like, "let's take a test".

Ruth said...

I love this post! You are such a wonderful mom to teach her to pray so young. And I loved your story about your prayer as a child. :) Marianne is learning how to pray on her own too, and it's so precious to hear the things she comes up with, like praying for her dollies and stuff. :)

Mrs.Smith said...

Okay, that was the cutest thing ever! I love it! Both stories, actually. Kids are so funny and sweet when they're praying. Even the "right NOW..." was endearing -- and all the cuter because you remember feeling bad about it.

Love you!