Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chitter Chatter

Today for some reason Lily was on this non-stop talking kick! Worse than her usual talkativeness. I was starting to feel like I couldn't remember what quiet sounded like. She was describing everything she was doing in minute detail. While she set the table for breakfast this morning she talked about how she was putting a knife at my place, and a knife at her place, and a knife at Dad's place. And so on for the napkins and cups... Then she said: "Mom, look! - I put your knife right here at your place, and my knife right here at my plate, and Dad's knife right here at his plate!" (with such sweet and cute enthusiasm, and you had to give her props for helping to set the table..), but then it was: "Dad, look! I put Mom's knife right here at Mom's plate, and my knife right here at my plate, and your knife right here at your plate!" "Grandma!..."


I was making a birthday card for my Grandmother, and she wanted to help so I set her to making one of her own. Mike was home today and she had to describe - to each of us separately, though we were two feet away - each stroke and sticker placement and what went behind it...including how she started to trace around some letters, but got bored so she decided to use these stickers, "...and so I put this yellow flower sticker right here, and this pink flower sticker right here..." ...all down the row! It was stating the obvious overload. 

And if she ran out of real things to talk about at any point she might just start making up a nonsense rhyming song. She's been really into rhyming lately.

The worst thing about her constant chatter today was the endless questions. She wasn't just talking, she was in my face expecting me to listen and answer - all day long! We drove down to San Diego to do something for Mike's business, and it was such a relief when she fell asleep in the car! On the way home the questions started up again. When you answered one "da-da da da" she then asked "why da-da da da?" I feel like a terrible mother to admit this, but when we were almost home I honestly thought my brain might explode from the effort of trying to pay attention and just wanting to shut off! But, I was trying to keep my patience, and it was easier to just answer each question than to try to avoid it! Lily is a persistent child. And - if you don't respond to every detail of her question she will ask it again (in detail, on repeat) until she gets all the information. So anyway, after a multitude of other questions... Lily was asking me if my sister and I had ever camped out in the yard...
- I didn't think so, but I told her my friends and I used to have sleepovers out on trampolines...

A little snippet of the conversation that ensued:

LILY "When you and your friends slept out on the trampoline did you have sleeping bags, and marshmallows, and flash lights, and lanterns?

ME "No...We had sleeping bags, and maybe flashlights, but probably not marshmallows because we didn't have a fire."

LILY "Well, you could light a fire."

ME "But we didn't have any fire pits."

LILY "You could dig a fire pit."

ME "My friend's parents wouldn't let us dig a fire pit."

LILY "What were your friends parents names?"

ME "Well...I don't remember all my friend's parent's names, but I do remember my friend Kelli's mom and dad were Jackie and Alan."

LILY "And Malen and Fralen?"

ME "No."

LILY "Were your sister's friend's parent's names Malen and Fralen?"

ME "No-."

LILY "Then who were Malen and Fralen?"

At that point Mike and I just busted out laughing, and Lily joined in while we pulled up to the house and got out. There's nothing in the world like a good laugh! All my impatience just dissolved - at least until the questions started mounting again...


But seriously, I am so grateful for the sweet vivid personality of my cute little girl! Especially when I think about her little arms around my neck as she was getting into bed. "It's Mommy and Lily hugging and kissing time!" Such a love!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

That captures it all so well! I enjoyed reading, sounds a lot like Brie :-)