Sleep is the reason I haven't been posting very frequently on my blog. Since I've been pregnant I've seemed to need quite a lot of it! It's funny I didn't realize I was pregnant - like immediately, because looking back there were a couple of days before I'd even missed my period (I remember because it was before our vacation) that I totally crashed on the couch in the morning while Lily was playing - for like 2 hours! I never do that. I do not generally like to take naps in the day because I just feel crummy and groggy afterward rather than refreshed (except when I'm recovering from labor or up all night with a newborn of course). Anyway, sleep has been a greater priority to me lately than almost anything else. And it's been harder to get a good night's sleep than I would have anticipated it being so early on. It's not like I had a big belly or should even have been able to even feel the baby as early as it became uncomfortable for me... But some kind of hormones are kicking in and doing a number on my lower back or something. Plus pregnancy brings me loads of crazy dreams!
Well, the belly is getting bigger, though I can still sleep on my stomach so far, but I was sorting through maternity clothes today thinking I'm probably about ready for them, and I think for the most part they'll have to wait... Feeling a little bit happy that I'm not growing, growing out of control...because everybody tells you with your second pregnancy that you get bigger so much faster 'Now that your body knows what to do it will just be like - boing!' I think it is faster, but not crazily so. :)
We've already started making some changes to make room for our new baby. Since we are still living with my parents we are pretty tight on space, but luckily we've always been pretty good at making do and thinking outside the box! That phrase always makes me roll my eyes a little. Lily now has her own room, and we sort of do... We decided to try our luck with veteran's day sales to buy some new mattresses. I didn't want to wait too long to make all these changes so Lily would have time to adjust before the baby is born. That will be change enough to deal with, I'm sure!
Lily having fun hugging huge stuffed animals as we tested out beds:
We bought a day bed and a trundle for our downstairs room and passed our king size bed on to my parents. If you think about it it's still kind of like we have a king size bed...it's just retractable. It's ridiculously high because we had to raise it up a bit to make room for our plush mattresses - we were not about to buy the scrawny 8-inch ones that typically fit on day beds. I'm pregnant for heaven's sake! - I need a decent mattress. So this is what our double-decker bed looks like downstairs.
I still need to figure out a daytime cover and pillows to make it double as an insanely high couch...but check it - when you pull out the trundle it's kind of like stadium seating!
We could fit 6 adults on this to watch movies! - if the frame is sturdy enough that that wouldn't make it collapse...doubtful. We don't have that many friends over anyway. Maybe we'll just make do with what we've got - it looks like a big ivory cloud as it is, so inviting :)
I am super excited that Lily finally has her own room! With her own big girl bed with trundle too. She was totally getting too big for her toddler bed. On this she looks little again! It's so nice to have all the extra floor space for her to play. She's been excited enough about her cute new bed and darling owl sheets that she hasn't gotten too bummed about the change yet. She still sometimes tells me she doesn't like all our changes downstairs - I think mostly because the hard floor isn't as comfortable to sit and play on (but it sure is a dream for messes!), but she's also just a bit resistant to change. So far so good, we haven't been pushy about where she sleeps and she's choosing the new bed on her own, and getting to the original topic of this post...
Though Lily doesn't always nap every day now - I'm so grateful she naps as much as she does! Hopefully it will continue until some time after we get adjusted to another baby! Today I got totally sleepy while Lily was watching a show after eating lunch. The classical music in Little Einsteins was making me think about pulling out the trundle bed downstairs and just laying down for a minute. I couldn't resist - it was calling me! An hour later, after I finally dragged myself out of my sleep state, I went out to the living room and discovered this:
Lily pulled out this blanket and made herself a bed on the floor and put herself down for a nap! -This from the girl who has always claimed to be incapable of pulling up her own covers. How nice it was to get a little nap myself and wake up and to no nap-time battle and some time to myself! A hot shower, a little time to just sit alone and think, a little blogging - bliss! I'm so grateful for naps!
August on the Way Out
5 weeks ago







2 comments:
New visitor to your blog! I had to laugh when I read down and saw Potty Training In A Day! I read the book back some 28 years ago and totally barricaded my daughter and I in the kitchen! It did not work but we had a fabulous fun day together! Moral of the story... when they are ready, they are ready! Your daughter is precious!
Congrats! So exciting to be having another one! I totally understand with the naps. Sometimes I'm still like that if Caden had a rough night. I usually try not to anymore because then I can't fall asleep at night, but on rare occasions I can't resist.
I hope all the changes go well as you prepare for Baby.
Post a Comment