That's my auto-response when people ask me how I'm doing: "Pretty Good." Not the most enthusiastic answer. Lately I've been hearing it coming out of the mouth of my 3-year old. I kind of feel bad about it. My life is not perfect, but I know I am very blessed! Why do I hesitate about just saying I'm "good?" Why not kick it up to amazing, outstanding, or excellent? Pretty Good is essentially saying I'm so-so, or "eh, I could be better". Yeah, many people just ask to be polite and don't even really listen to your reply. But I've decided I need to step it up a notch - reflect a more positive attitude. It's going to take some time to change old habits. First I have to come up with a word that suits me. What do you typically say when people ask how you're doing?
4 comments:
Depends. I try to be TOTALLY honest with most people, even if they're not really listening. So, my response ranges from "Life just stinks right now" to "I couldn't be more fabulous if I tried!" Then, most people end up paying attention. Maybe I'm just a little egotistical though... :)
I'm even gloomier than you! My standard response for the last who knows how long has been "I'm hanging in there" or "I'm surviving." That sounds like my life is mostly miserable!
Lately it's been "I'm here." :) I guess babies do that to you. Usually my answer ranges from "peachy" to "fantastic" . You have to say it like you mean it though. FAAAN-Tastic! That always shakes things up:)
I try to be honest when I'm not ok, but it makes things awkward. So I stink with "good" or "fine."
Post a Comment