Friday, October 21, 2011

A new addition

We built a house! Well, really a dollhouse. I only wish it was a real house for us and we were moving in! Still - it is an improvement, I think, to our current surroundings.


I fell in love with this dollhouse bookshelf I found online. I determined it was just what Lily needed to have a little of her own play space in our shared bedroom. The ones online cost upwards of $300. Too rich for my budget. I just didn't like the cheaper versions I found as well, I liked how simple and classy the land of nod one was so it could grow with my girl and still be cool. I knew I could make one just how I wanted to for roughly as much as I'd pay for one I didn't really like. I even found plans I could reference to build one of my own. I really wanted to make it for Lily's birthday this summer, but...with our room remodeling project already underway and the other life stuff we always have going on - it just wasn't about to happen. That doesn't mean I gave up on the idea! --I just kept imagining that little extra place to store some books, and be a center for imaginative play for Lily when I just wanted to be working on projects in our room for an extended period of time and keep her happy and nearby. When we found out we were expecting a new baby I wanted to make it even more! Lily could happily entertain herself at the dollhouse while I rocked and nursed the new baby. Well, I'm hoping that's how it works out at least some of the time!

Mike helped me build it over the last couple of weeks. It was so fun working on this project together with him.

I think it turned out pretty cute! --Not exactly how I planned, but we are not master builders and it was easier to cut a 45 degree angle and have the roof meet at the top, so it's a little steeper than I really wanted it to be, but that just gives her more space for a few larger items -- and I love how the little chimney turned out!

Lily was so excited once we got started, and, of course, wanted to help build it too.

Oh yeah, gettin' a doll-house!


Hello! Cutting the windows and doors was probably the hardest part.


Trying it out for size - she won't be able to squeeze into that space for too much longer!


Lily did finally get to help with the first coat of paint, but if you notice the drips - she didn't get to help much after that...





Notice the paint trail - it was all over the bottom of her shoes! 


Time to go wash up!


I just love all her quirky faces!
 I don't know what I was thinking just handing Lily the paintbrush and letting her dip it in herself leaving a wide drip trail behind her as she took off. She's 3, and I expected her not to make a big mess or something? Luckily she was well garbed, and we were prepared with a big tarp over the driveway. She didn't get to help paint the trim, but she did pick the color - pink, of course!

  The finished project!!


I put the finishing touches on it a couple of days ago, and we just moved it up to our room. I was so happy it fit in the space I planned it for and with the door still able to fully open - it looked so big, but I guess we measured right! That's what I wanted - to maximize that little space so it would make as much room for books and play as possible. I'm so glad we made it, I just love how it brightens up the room, and gives Lily a little more space that's all her own. I pulled my old Heart Family dolls and accessories I saved for her out of the garage and we washed them all up. She's been having so much fun playing with them and all the little pieces, and it brings back so many memories I have of playing with them. I loved my Heart Family dolls! I'm so glad I saved what I did of them for her. (Too bad I didn't save the family car!) I know we are going to have fun making some beds and little furniture for them to set them up in their house.

Posing for mom with her favorite friends



The night we brought the bookcase up and set it in place Lily was jumping up and down saying, "I'm so excited, I can't wait!" I put some books on it while she was sleeping, and when she woke up in the morning she could not wait to get out the dolls and set up their rooms! She was a little upset about having books on it - she had her own plans, but we prevailed. I had to laugh out loud yesterday when I went in our room and noticed the baby boy doll sitting on the little potty with his pants around his ankles. She had to put the baby dolls in their pajamas and put them to bed before she went to sleep last night. I always wanted my own dollhouse - Mike says now my dream has come true! I think we do try to live out some of our fantasies through our kids, or just want to give them what we wished we had when we can. I have to say- I just love having a girl. :)

2 comments:

Julie and Matt said...

How darling! Lily looks so happy with it. You did such a great job building it. I totally want to make one for Clara.

Jessica said...

You know I can't be sure, but I think she really likes it! :) In one of the pictures I could see my old house in the background. Miss living in CA!