Sunday, September 25, 2011

Say What?

Becoming a parent changes your whole life. It makes you more appreciative of your own parents, and it makes you say things you probably never thought you would say.

Here are just a few things I've caught coming out of my own mouth recently: ( I know there's been more and crazier ones, but I just can't remember them all, so here you go)

"Less talking more eating!"

"We can do it the easy way, or we can do it the hard way!"

"Are you going to make me count!"

By the way, I think it so rocks that the majority of the time - just counting is enough to get a kid to cooperate - no other threatened consequence required. A nice rest for the brain in the discipline department. Even kids you've never met before feel the power of it. Of course if you don't follow it up with something eventually it loses effectiveness.

The other day Lily said to me in the car: "No dancing mom! I'll count to 5!" --She was just mad that we wouldn't change the music to Yo Gabba Gabba. (She so needs to broaden her musical horizons.)

Oh, yes - she turns the phrases we use around on us all the time!

Sometimes half of a warning/threat/admonition (take your pick) comes out of my mouth - and the other half doesn't quite make it...It gets mixed up, or falls flat so that whatever I just said just ends up just confusing or lame. I have laughed at myself at times like those. I usually try to clarify my meaning, if we haven't already moved on to something else... Sometimes I think I can't really blame Lily for not being better behaved. Other times I think: Why am I even talking about this with her? But then there are times where it is evident how much more she hears and understands than we realize, so hopefully - with consistency - she'll get all my jumbled lessons eventually!

Random things Lily has said (that I wrote down) over the last couple of months:

"Dad, I have a surprise for you and mom for when you got married because I didn't give you one, so I'm giving it to you right now." (FYI: It was her baby doll stroller wrapped with apron strings). continuing: "It's time for a celebration! I'm decorating!"

Randomly to Grandpa: "My little sister's in heaven - she's getting out soon!" (Maybe she knows more than we do) ...She also asked me about where babies come from, and if they were pooped out into the toilet! She's super inquisitive and observant and she puts so many concepts together on her own it constantly amazes us. It's so funny to be caught up in a conversation with her where she's talking like an adult and then she suddenly breaks into baby made up words and her high babbling baby voice, and you're like: Oh yeah, she's still little!

Lily: "I want to give Grandma a hug!"
me: "I think you missed her...she's already gone out the door."
(Hugging herself) "I'm giving her a hug and a blow-out kiss!"

To Dad: "Why do you have that Barbeque pen?"
Mike (telling me what she asked): "She can read!"
me: "She can recognize a few things. Yesterday she wrote her name...but there was a q in it".
Mike to Lily: "Lily-Q! Hey, Lily-Q"
Lily: "No! (spelling) L-i-y!"
Us: "L-I-L-Y"
Grandpa: "Lily, what does your Dad's shirt say?" (Mike's in the Window Washing business)

Lily: (in her Dad's lap pointing to the letters as she proudly 'reads') "Wash-ing-ton!"

I know I had another scrap of paper I had been hanging on to with a phrase Lily was saying that since right around the time I wrote it down - she stopped. Can't find it. :(

There are a ton of other things that pass by without the time to write them down. It's too bad. But most of the time it's really a good that we don't remember everything! We had a really nice Saturday this week - a super fun party for my niece, followed up by a nap for Lily (Aah, peace for us), and time working with Mike on a project we've been wanting to do for quite a while, and ending up with a nice dinner out just the three of us. It was just lovely - I was telling Mike on the car-ride home. If you didn't take into account the unbelievable tantrum Lily threw over taking a nap - he reminded me. I am so willing to gloss over that!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

I can't tell you how often I hear things come out of my mouth that sound just like my parents!

The things she says are so much fun-- at least you are getting some of them written down! (I have very little record of the cute things they used to say and now my memory of them is gone...however, I have a pretty decent record of the trail of destruction left in their wake. Hmmm, maybe it would be better to remember the cute things?)