Friday, September 23, 2011

Re-done

Ever since we re-modeled our living/office/storage room - a change which included a new laptop for me - I haven't been getting on the computer as much. I love our new room, the clean look, the added space, and the easy to clean floor, but it's been hard adjusting to not having a desk. I don't get my computer out as much, and when I do - I don't feel like I can just leave it lying around and vulnerable to being sat on or pulled of the couch by my 3-year old, so I usually turn it off and put it up when I finish a task. Needless to say I haven't been blogging very much lately. We found something at IKEA we thought would be a nice solution, but since I'd never had a laptop before I wanted to wait and see how it went...you know, how I'd really ended up using it before I bought anything for it. Well, I finally decided I do need a desk. IKEA discontinued the one we'd picked out at the store (we found out after driving all the way downtown), so we ordered it online. The online shopping cart wasn't working so Mike phoned it in. It didn't show up on the Thursday they told us it would, or that weekend. Turns out they shipped it through another company. It didn't show up on the Monday it was supposed to...apparently (they failed to mention) we had to schedule a delivery time with that shipping company. The shipping company, when contacted, had no idea where it was, "...maybe it was somewhere in LA -- they would let us know when it turned up..." Several phone calls and days later my package finally arrived! The box was so thin everything was falling around in it and bulging out the package, but it was miraculously undamaged - just covered in greasy fingerprints that were pretty hard to wash off... but elbow grease and a little nail polish remover did the trick. Well, after that frustrating experience (which was making us just want to cancel the order) patience paid off!


I put my desk up yesterday and am typing at it right now. I love it. A little bit of extra storage space just for me, a place I can leave my laptop out without fear, and the best part of all is that it folds away when I want it to, hardly takes up any space, and goes with our other stuff perfectly -it's even smaller than I thought it would be (which is just fine with me). I feel like our room is finally complete! It was done, but missing something before. You may soon see me blogging more...but we'll see how it goes. It's been kinda good for me to have a break from the computer habit, and it seems like life is just getting busier, but I hope to record some of Lily's funny sayings and the never-ending photos I keep taking, and other things that are fun to share or that I don't want to forget! Hello, again :)

1 comment:

Heidi said...

Good to hear from you again! I like the desk!! (But I don't think I'd want to go through all that to get one.)