I know Lily says tons of funny things all the time that I don't always think to write down - and now they are forgotten, so I figured a new post was in order to help us (her family) remember some of the funny things Lily would say and do when she was two and a half. You will probably think she is a little rebel after reading all of these, but don't make assumptions on only part of the picture. She can be a sweet, helpful little angel at times too! For some reason these were just the things I recorded recently... :)
A new nursery teacher in church pointed out a few weeks ago that Lily had been flipping him off for the last half hour. That made me realize my daughter naturally uses her middle finger for pointing and pushing on things. I started a covert campaign to teach her to use her pointer finger instead. It's always a fine line being a parent - I knew if I made too big a deal of it she'd use her middle finger on purpose and really offend somebody! So far so good (though it's still her inclination to use her middle one).
Frequent Lily quote: "Green makes the scene!" (thumbs down with a frown) --that one's a mixed up expression from a Berenstain Bears episode. Not really sure what she thinks it means, but it's pretty funny. A week or so ago Mike told me she walked over to the neighbor kids, who she loves to play with, and gave them a big thumbs down. I think they just did it back. She can be such a random grouch sometimes. I think after a few minutes of playing with them she got over it.
One afternoon as I was heading in to the kitchen to make something I stopped to remind Lily to eat some food that was in front of her while she was absorbed in watching TV. She said to me: "Mom, be patient!" and then followed it up (with attitude) saying: "Go make something!" Aggravating, but funny.
After Lily bonked her head on our TV cabinet one night she cried: "You're supposed to take care of me!" I have to tell you how funny it is to have the mom guilt, gut-wrenching-feeling coincide with the laughing-out-loud, tickle-your-funny-bone-feeling. And how weird it is that our kids can make us feel guilty for things that are totally not our fault and out of our control...
Lately Lily wants her Grandpa or Grandma to read the funnies to her whenever she sees them reading the paper. Came in on her like this in her upside down stool :)
Lately Lily wants her Grandpa or Grandma to read the funnies to her whenever she sees them reading the paper. Came in on her like this in her upside down stool :)
She's also always asking questions like: "Will you hold onto "X" -- in case it doesn't get lost?*" or "Will you put this up somewhere high -- in case (X cousin/person/or ghost) won't get it?*" (*Lily grammar) We don't let Lily take her Lamby everywhere because we don't want her to lose him somewhere, so I know where she got that - but Lily always adds on the possibility of other children or people taking it.
For quite a while Lily has been saying 'I do and I don't', but it's gotten more specific and frequent lately. Now she's always saying: "Sometimes I do, Sometimes I don't." --about liking food or people. She definitely has this sometimes attitude about food. I never know if she's going to eat something or reject it even if she's always liked it in the past. The other day when her cousins were over Lily asked for grilled cheese, but when Evie wanted macaroni and cheese she suddenly wanted that too - even though she'd been rejecting it for weeks. Ah, the power of peers. Anyway, as we were eating Lily conversationally says to Evie, "Sometimes I like macaroni, and sometimes I don't." Later I happened upon a slightly awkward conversation along this same line. Lily was standing on a stool looking through some wooden bars that separate an opening from the kitchen to our front room where Evie was playing. Lily said, "I love you Evie!" (which she says a lot) ..she continued, "Sometimes I love you, sometimes I don't." Evie (taken aback, I'm sure) asked, "But do you LIKE me?" Lily: "I like you... and I don't." Evie asked, "Do you hate me?" Lily, who has probably never heard the word 'hate' before, replied: "I love you... and I don't." This led to a discussion about how we always love people, but sometimes we don't like everything they do. Yeah...Evie was cool, but I don't think Lily got it... I know she loves all the people she says she sometimes doesn't. I'm not sure where she originally picked this phrase up, but she's just running with it right now! This morning it was, "Sometimes I love to hug you dad, and sometimes I don't." and "Sometimes I love you Grandma, and sometimes I don't." Me oh my. It will probably lead to more awkward conversations until it runs it's course, but I'm sure she'll get the real concept eventually :)
I love the little scenarios Lily comes up with of late, and the attitude and expressions she uses are to die for. I love how she shrugs her shoulders sometimes as she talks, and how she's been putting her hand on her hip lately. It's so fun to see her express herself with her all and all. It's so fun to hear her doing different voices for her little toy people and animals, and to hear her give grown up advice. And yesterday the way she said "Please, please, ple-ea-ase! with this drawn out high singing voice on the last 'please' and hugging me while she rolled her head around and smiled. I cannot capture it's cuteness in a description to truly convey it to you, but maybe it will help me remember in years gone by...
"Maybe we can have a picnic outside, and maybe Evie can come over and eat too, and maybe she will bring a bouncy house!"
talking about summer...
"and then Daddy will take us to the beach! And Daddy will come home and we'll say: "Let's go to the beach! -- Hooray - hooray!!""
Yesterday: "I'm going to help Mom now, Grandma! Take a rest and call me from the kitchen!" (Coming into the kitchen:) "Grandma's going to call me if she needs me."
"Why did you put me in my zebra shirt today, Mommy?"
Lily in her 'zebra shirt' doing her best Geordi impression.
(Come on, didn't you watch Star Trek the Next Generation?)
(Come on, didn't you watch Star Trek the Next Generation?)
In her zebra shirt again getting ready to help her Dad.
(Measuring with the measuring tape) With confidence: "It's 5 and a clock"
It's so funny how she can be so shy around people she doesn't know, and her preschool friends, and so not shy at home. She totally draws in her chin and puts on a grumpy/pouty face when she catches the notice of a stranger - every time. At least maybe she won't walk off with one too easily!
Sometimes Lily is so totally obstinate and hard to manage. And sometimes she's so helpful and loving and well-behaved. I think a lot of any trouble I have with her is my own fault. Sometimes I think I'm a good mom, and sometimes I don't... She catches me off guard. Like: What do you do when you are trying to speak sternly or give a time out and she says, "I need a hug!" so insistently - you can't exactly push her away? Oh, she's good! She knows how to delay bed time, and how to avoid choosing her two offered options in an attempted deal. Oh yes, it's tougher than I ever imagined being a parent... but I wouldn't go back if I could. The people you love are what make life worth living. I cannot imagine loving my little girl any more than I do, and definitely not any less - so I'm sure my love will just continue to grow. Probably as fast as she does!
















3 comments:
You're going to love having these posts later! I've forgotten things I thought I never would-- mostly because my kids still do funny/interesting/obnoxious stuff and I can only keep straight in my head what they are doing in the current stage.
We had the middle finger pointing redirecting to do with Marianne-- she never changed the habit until she was school age and I finally explained (and she understood) that to some people it was very offensive...but by that time Jared was pointing at everything using his middle finger and we had to start all over again retraining another child. He's almost over it (I think) and fortunately, Brie uses her pointer finger naturally.
She is quite the character! My dad uses his middle finger too when he's pointing to written material, not to people. I guess it just comes more natural to some people.
I love how their minds think! Two is such a great age filled with awesome conversations!
Post a Comment