Thursday, January 6, 2011

Oh So Very 2!

Lily is driving me crazy lately. Actually not just me. She is so terribly moody that I'm really hoping it's a phase that goes with being 2 and that it will pass as soon as possible. It's hard living with someone so unpredictable. The slightest thing will set her off and then she's flipping food around, or hitting or kicking us. I'm trying to teach her more appropriate ways of expressing herself, but it just doesn't seem to be sinking in. It's so weird to me that she knows so many words and can communicate so well if she chooses to, but lately she sometimes reverts to pointing and grunting at things and is crying a lot! She has been sick, but I can't really think of any other changes in our lifestyle to coincide with her altered attitude. Could it be the new bed? Maybe she's getting some new teeth and the pain is making her grouchy? Sometimes I wonder if it's because she doesn't eat enough, but she's so temperamental that trying to get her to eat more is not easy. I give her something I know she really likes and she acts all happy about eating it, but then some minuscule thing is not to her liking and it's all over the floor and she won't have it. I try time outs, taking away things that are treats, small lectures, sending her to bed, everything I can think of, but it doesn't seem to faze her resolve to get what she wants - her way - or flip out. I know part of it is just learning to be her own person and testing what is appropriate and what is not, but sheesh! This is the pits. I have hope because there are many times where she is an absolute angel, lately they are fewer and farther between, but they give me hope! Sometimes it seems like she's really getting it and I'm on the right track, and then it's like I'm right back at the beginning. If anyone out there has advice or experience to share I could use a bit more hope, and any help I can get! I'm feeling super appreciative of my own mom and dad and all they went through to raise us kids. Parents deserve way more love and respect than they get!

A little video I captured yesterday I thought went along with this post. Lily was writing a note that said "I love Daddy, and Grandma..." but her note to me turned out a little different... Mike is laughing in the background.


The note she wrote:

 My two and a half year old:
A good moment. I love my girl all of the time, but I have to admit there are moments I don't like her! I feel bad to admit that, but it's true. I really hope it gets better soon, and I really hope my mom no longer feels that way about me! I'm not trying to complain. I do want to remember how it really was so when Lily has a two year old of her own, I can sympathize.

Just got a parenting book I ordered in the mail - got some reading to do!

6 comments:

Heidi said...

Sounds normal-- (like life with Brie on a daily basis, actually...and she's five!) I'm sure it's a stage. No fun to hear that but keep being as consistent as you can (i.e. don't give in to the tantrums) and grit your teeth and bear it.

And don't feel guilty when she drives you nuts!!

I think you hit the nail right on the head when you talked about how she is learning to be her own person and testing the limits. It's just not always fun to be the person that bears the brunt of the limit-bashing.

Rebecca said...

Totally normal for 2 and half and I hate to tell you, but 3 is usually terrible too! Just do your best to walk away from the tantrums.

Lissy said...

Thanks ladies! I am learning a lot of things I can change. It helps to hear other people stories! :)

Baileys said...

*sigh* Wishing I could offer advice or encouragement, but we're struggling with the same thing. It's good to know you're not in it alone though, right?

Jessica said...

Everyone has times when they don't like their kids! You are so normal!

Amy said...

My only comment is thank goodness I am not the only one that has trouble figuring out how to handle a trantrum throwing 2 year old :)