Friday, July 9, 2010

A Whirlwind of Festivities

Now back to life :)

It seems like we were on non-stop fun here for about a week. Mike and I went to Knott's Berry Farm for a day and a night to celebrate our anniversary, leaving Lily on her own overnight for the first time ever without one of us. She was fine. Can't get much better than staying in your own crib in your own house with your doting Grandma who lives there too! Plus she had the added treat of a visit from her cousin Evie. The next day instead of us coming home - it seemed like she would've rather had her other cousin Isaac come over to play! Let's just say we missed her more than she missed us! I couldn't help but think about her a little, or a lot... We had a very fun time though. It was awesome to hit all the roller coasters without worrying about a child. I felt like a kid again. We actually got out of there with our sore backs feeling better! Roller coaster adjustment - awesome!

Then Mike's brother and his wife and our niece Octavia came to visit over July fourth weekend. It was so fun to talk and laugh with them. We tried to cram in as much fun as we possibly could, and wish they could live closer so we could see them more often! The first day we hit the beach -- the one downer of the trip: aside from Lily, we all got sunburned. I think I am on day 7 now of majorly scorched shoulders and am still feeling major pain! Ugh! Why did I not apply sunscreen!? Luckily I had a base tan on my face and arms (from all that yard work I've been doing), and I guess enough on my legs that those areas were OK, but the top of my shoulders are red as ripe watermelon but so not cool and refreshing. The day started off cloudy and we usually don't stay long enough for me to ever get burned - so I just wasn't thinking. (Stupid, stupid.) Thank goodness I coated Lily, because she only got a bit of pink across her nose and cheeks.

We also hit the Zoo and the pier and took Mike's family down to the Harbor and Horton Plaza because they love to shop. We had a blast - and we ate every night at some of our favorite area restaurants: Pizza Port, The Corvette Diner, and Acapulco, and snacked on Annie's Bunnies, a rainbow chip birthday cake, and Baskin Robbins... We basically spoiled ourselves rotten. Time to get back to healthy cooking! I need to get organized and start up a menu and shopping plan again - and stick to it! 

This week has been kind of gloomy. Exhaustion, gray skies, and window cleaning cancellations aside - I think we're just a little down from missing our out-of-town family! Time for another vacation! Who can we come to visit, now? Georgia is on my mind - we wish! :)

Here's some fun pictures from our weekend!

 Getting some sun.

 Lily's impenetrable fortress - at least until that major wipeout, but it took a lot before that!

 Miss Rosy cheeks.
Trying to blow out the birthday candles from across the room - with attitude :)

Go USA!

 SD Zoo

 Lily did not want to get off - she was climbing everything!

 
 Lily with her oldest cousin



 Helicopter Pilot
Had to drag her out of here too.

Totally loving the Footsie Wootsie!
Even Blaine and Octavia tried it.
Animal Acrobats - Lily says a 'tiger' threw her a necklace at the Zoo.
 Ready to eat. Can't believe Lily could sleep through the noise of the diner!
 She woke up with a totally grown-up attitude of impatient waiting. 
The diner was understaffed and messed up in getting us a table,
   but we ended up with a free appetizer and shakes all around! Yum!
We didn't plan to go to fireworks, but we spontaneously caught a show - 
fireworks going off over the water in three different areas right there in
front of us and absolutely no crowd! What luck! 
Lily was thrilled - She kept saying, "I see the fireworks!" over and over excitedly.
 Three for Tea.
Fun with Fish by Seaport Village.
Lily wanted to climb it too! Of course!
She wasn't too keen on climbing the tree. Go Figure...
Picking Flowers for Aunt Courtney at Horton Plaza
Hanging with Uncle Blaine.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

What a fun vacation! But you're right, it's always hard when they're over! I love the pic of you and Lily together - she looks so much like you! And her pigtails are adorable!

Ashley said...

Wow, you guys really HAVE been busy! It all looks like so much fun! That's so great that she loved the fireworks. I thought Kirsten would be scared of them, but she loved them too! She asked to see them every night after that, and I can't get her to understand that she can't see them every day. :)