Lily is turning 2! She is a sweet smart little girl and we love her like crazy!
Here are some funny things from Lily I’ve been saving - I scratch things down on paper when I hear them so I can remember them later.
She’ll say Monday like “Moonday”
Today she was talking about "Scrumpy and Dumpy" -- the 8th and 9th dwarfs? I don't know...
She can always trick people into sounding like you’ll do what she’s asking with an innocent “OK” when you are just trying to clarify what she wants.
Lately she’s been saying "Oh my gosh!" and adding “I guess” to the end of things. I think she may have picked this phrase up from her cousin Evie, but she makes it her own. “I want some ice-cream, I guess…” With an instinctive subtle pouting of the lips an upward glance and batting of the eyelashes. I wish you could hear it or I could describe it better because it’s the way she says things that is killer!
My mom likes to tell how when she was taking out the trash (which is in a clear plastic bag) Lily saw an ice-cream carton and in a shocked tone exclaimed: “Grandma, No throw away ice-cream!” Like it was the worst thing that she could imagine -- but she understood when Grandma told her the container was empty.
My mom likes to tell how when she was taking out the trash (which is in a clear plastic bag) Lily saw an ice-cream carton and in a shocked tone exclaimed: “Grandma, No throw away ice-cream!” Like it was the worst thing that she could imagine -- but she understood when Grandma told her the container was empty.
We are always telling Lily she has to do this or that FIRST, like eat her lunch before doing something else. Well, she’s starting to turn the table on us... The other day as Mike was trying to get her to eat when she wanted to watch a show, and Lily comes out with: “I need to watch a show first, Dad!” I just need to watch a show, real quick!”
Snippets of conversation:
(While drawing)
Lily: “I’m drawing a cat.
It’s a spider.
It’s a spider.
Look at the spider! Ahh!
::giggles::
::giggles::
Lily: What are you doing, Mom?
Me: “I’m grating some cheese.”
Lily: “I want some grate cheese!
(Watching birds at the bird feeder which Lily calls a “bird seeder”)
Me: “The birds are fighting. That’s not nice.”
Lily: “They need a time out. The birds need a time out!”
Lily was coloring while I was working in the kitchen and when I wouldn’t help her trace her hand one more time she got upset and stalked off and dramatically threw herself to the floor while saying with feeling: “You make me so sad!” (Heart breaker! Thought I wouldn’t hear that kind of thing until she was a teenager!)
Lily: “I’m having a bad day. Mom, are you having a bad day?”
She’s getting really good at imaginative play and entertaining herself. While I folded the laundry on the bed this morning she grabbed a baby towel and wrapped it around her head like a head scarf and said it was her raincoat. She imagined it was raining outside (despite the sunny weather) and pretended to hold up her umbrella. She said: “I’m all cold and shivery! I need a coat.” and pretended a wash cloth was pants and she was pulling them on. A few minutes later she had piled all the washcloths in front of her over her legs in a heap with the headscarf still around her and she was driving her car with a small round mirror for a steering wheel. She and her dad LOVE to build houses and pretend cars out of our bed pillows.
One night last week - when I was also folding laundry - I showed Lily the new panties I bought her that came out in that batch. We haven’t started potty training yet, but plan to soon and I sometimes take an opportunity to tell her about the process and what we’re going to do – a little advance preparation. She was in love with those panties and wanted to put them on immediately! I helped her on with one pair over her PJ’s, but as I finished with the other laundry she proceeded to put on every single other pair – excepting one for Lamby. So funny - because I remember my mom recounting how as a child I came out of my room with about ten full layers of shirts, pants and underwear on!
Today we were reading Ten Little Ladybugs and there was a picture of a bee holding a ladle and a bucket and flowers in the background. I asked her what the bucket was - expecting her to say ‘bucket’, but she said: “honey”. Then she said: “Bees turn flowers into honey.” She is always surprising me with her understanding of concepts I don’t remember teaching her.
She has her stubborn moments, but she is pretty logical and reasonable most of the time. One day we were looking out the window into the backyard and she remembered having the blow-up water slide out the day before and asked to play on it. I told her not today and she just accepted that. I remember at the time I was kind if fearing she’d be upset or that she'd at least keep pestering for it... She just said “Water slide not today, maybe another day.” and was happy as can be!
She’s getting so smart and capable, but she’s still my baby! Sometimes in a quiet moment between the two of us... when she’s having a drink before a nap or something - she’ll say: “I want to feed you, mom” Which actually means she wants me to hold her in my arms and feed her her sippy-cup like I would if she was a baby. She likes babies. She laughs and laughs at this Little Bear episode where Mother Bear is babysitting a baby raccoon. She is so sweet with her cousin Audrey, and her little baby doll. She’s been saying her baby and Lamby are best friends and role playing with dolls and her Little People in the cutest way. I think she’ll make a pretty great big sister someday.
I love my little girl and I’m so glad she’s growing into such an awesome little human being!



















1 comment:
She is so cute! I love all the pictures! I'm so glad you write down all the cute things she says and does - I try to do the same with Marianne because when I don't I find that forget so fast! PS - Marianne has the exact same shirt Lily is wearing in the first and last pics with hearts all over it - gotta love Target. :)
Post a Comment