Not that she usurps the place of my old favorite authors, but she has a place of her own right up at the top. I just recently discovered the books of Maud Hart Lovelace and am loving the children's literature. I have yet to get to her adult fiction - the children's stuff is so good. It's kind of like L.M. Montgomery in that it's still interesting to adults though geared toward youth. At least it interests this adult. I am kind of a kid at heart though, and I love hearing about the turn of the century - early 1900's where so many things were changing...the telephone and the horseless carriage and tons of other new things were just being introduced into and changing people's lives and women were gaining increasing respect for their contributions and achievements intellectually and artistically. What an exciting time!
Anyway, just thought I'd share - it is so exciting for me to find a 'new' author I love so much and look forward to sharing with my children. I don't know how I never heard about her before. I love re-reading books because they don't consume me as much as a new book - so I can put it down and do other things. I read the last Harry Potter book in one day and had to go to a picnic in the middle of it - torture! I have read my L.M. Montgomery books so many times I have had to take a major break from them, because it got to the point where I knew too much word for word and couldn't get into them anymore.
August on the Way Out
1 month ago

1 comment:
Ooo, new authors for me to check out! And I totally agree with you about needing to take a break. I finally got my old books from my parents' house and I am enjoying rereading them after a few years, even though they are a bit juvenile.
Post a Comment