Disclaimer: This post was never published but I wanted to save the memory so the date it happened is a total guess..
A few blissful minutes of absolute silence. The baby is asleep. Mike and Lily are outside washing the car. Alex went shopping, and my parents went for a walk so the TV isn't on, and the only noise I can hear in the house is the little that I am making while I fix myself some lunch. It feels so good! And sort of weird. I'm expecting it to be shattered any moment by a child's cry or that "Ber" and plop of someone sitting down in the recliner and switching on the TV. The thought passes my mind to choose a show for myself or pick up a book or sign on to Facebook, but this silence is far too enjoyable and too rare! I determine to let it last as long as it possible can so my mind can feel clear of all forms of outside chatter. Ok - that was about 10 minutes. A very good 10 minutes. I need to find a way to get more of this in my life - I am starved for it! I need some meditation time so I can feel closer to God and to myself, so I can think and be inspired and feel peace. This is one of the curses of our modern age, and of living more than one family to a house :) Sometimes I wish I lived in an earlier age where news of the outside world rarely touched you. When there was no TV and entertainment was people getting together and socializing face to actual face. Sometimes with facebook and cell phones and texting I feel like our society is forgetting how to do that. Forgetting how to be away from all that and just be ourselves real and in the moment. What do you talk about with to friends who post everything that happens to them on facebook so that you've already read it, or they think you have so they hesitate to share because they don't want to repeat themselves or hear you say - "Yeah, I know - I saw it on Facebook?" Do you go to Google first when you need some advice or to your mom or friend or the local library? Technology and the easy retrieval of information are huge blessings! It's just that I feel like we're always plugged in. Not spending as much time in real personal interactions. Too often thinking how we would word our thoughts into a post on facebook or a blog rather than just thinking them to ourselves and no other audience. I know I catch myself doing that. I fight the urge to sign on to facebook when I have a few minutes I know will be interrupted too fast to start any kind of project. I am a much happier me when I focus on the real life tasks I need to do and feel satisfied accomplishing them rather than feeling dissatisfied with my life when I see all the amazing things other people are doing. But I still think there's a place for facebook and I love blogs even more, obviously since I am taking the time to type this. Especially inspiring blogs by other women who have gone through similar things to me and write things that make me think or uplift me.
I just think we need to try to remember what life was like when we were kids and strive for balance in how much we let technology change how we live. And how our kids will live.
A Little Lost
4 weeks ago

No comments:
Post a Comment