Saturday, August 11, 2012

Mocking Myself

Since I had a few minutes to myself before the girls woke up this morning I was looking through my old unpublished drafts. I figured there were some with all the things I have wanted to post but haven't had time for... Well, there was only one because apparently I haven't even had time to set up a few unpublished drafts lately.

This one made me laugh because it was from back when Lily was little...littler, and lately as I nurse Sierra at bed time Lily has been putting in a special request for this song ('The one where the mom buys the baby all the stuff...'). So even though I never finished the post (couldn't remember enough to fill in all 10 though I know there have been many more lame variations!) And it's probably not as funny as it could have been --I thought I'd put it up for memories sake.

Here's the post from more than 2 years ago:

Mocking Myself

The top ten lame rhymes/rhyming phrases substituted on the fly -- because I can never quite remember what mama's gonna buy aside from the mocking bird. And I don't really care.

10.
9.
8.
7.
6.
5.   tire releases air - county fair
4.   straw hat catches fire - big ol' tire
3.   7-Up goes flat - old straw hat
2.   ring don't shine - old grape vine
1.   ain't cute - pooty toot (Yes, I actually resorted to 'pooty toot' once...)

When I looked up the lyrics and saw that they tried to rhyme 'broke' and 'goat' -- I figure: what the heck!? So it's always different. When they're really lame I kind of blur over them so hopefully Lily won't come up with lame rhymes in the future thinking they're good because of me. She really likes this song though - and it helps her get to sleep - so I keep singing it.

|End old post|

The funniest thing about this post years later is Lily is really good at coming up with lame rhymes. She rhymes all the time. She makes up her own nonsense words to make rhymes - sometimes she hits on an unfortunate real one - like the other day turd for bird. There have been a few times it was even worse, but she's an innocent and it's better not to draw her attention to it ;)

Sometimes I wonder if Lily will grow up to be a poet or songwriter. Some of her lyrics are actually pretty good. Impressive for her age and experience. I used to make up songs all the time growing up. I wish I had kept at it and actually learned music enough to become good at it. One of her favorite songs for me to sing is one I wrote as a little kid. 'The Bird's Night Song' - it's not very long. I finished it once on a car trip, but lost the added lyrics and never tried to come up with them or others again. I should do that. Mike would be really happy. And it's not too bad - one of my best. I'd like to illustrate it and turn it into a children's book. Someday, in the future when I have more time... Yeah. Anyway, it's fun to have something like this in common with my little girl, because sometimes I just feel like we're constantly butting heads. I'm really hoping it's a phase that passes because I want to have a close relationship with my girls. They are so beautiful and sweet and I love them so!


1 comment:

Heidi said...

That's cool that Lily's a budding songwriter :-) I'm curious to see what it turns into when she gets older!