Tuesday, July 10, 2012

The Good Let Down - Breastfeeding #2

Got milk?
Breastfeeding is what I am doing most of the time these days - so it felt natural to write a post about it. Disclaimer: I know breastfeeding doesn't work out for everybody and I mean no offense - everyone has unique circumstances - just sharing mine. Also, it's difficult not to talk about breastfeeding without using some terms that might be embarrassing to some people (mostly kids & guys) so just warning you! :)

The transition to breastfeeding Sierra has been so much easier than it was nursing a baby for the first time! Maybe because my breasts have been there before so it's not as much of a shocker... Maybe also because I now know there is light at the end of the tunnel. So I'd like to share that news with anyone else who might be struggling to establish breastfeeding. It's hard to get started. Breastfeeding is hard, but also easier than bottle feeding in so many ways! Not even considering how good it is for the baby...

#1) Financially - it's free!
#2) Breastfeeding burns extra calories so I lost like 25 pounds right away without even trying - unfortunately I gained more than that so I still have some work to do!
#3) It's much easier to prepare than formula - no washing bottles, carting them around, having to fix them fast for a fussy baby.
#4) There's something nice about the relationship. I can't tell you how sweet it was to see my baby smiling up at me as she nursed yesterday! It's nice to know I'm providing good nourishment, and antibodies, and even comfort for her, in a way only I can. And when the baby latches on right it can actually feel good - especially when the milk lets down and I get a rush of hormones that relax me. I know that sounds weird, but it's true weird. One good 'let down' in life!

The flip side is that when it comes to feeding her - only I can. (Fulfilling and frustrating) Oh, and so much for thinking once I was no longer pregnant I could sleep on my stomach again! (My favorite position!) Not for another year or so or until you are done with nursing. It would be nice to be able to take turns with your husband getting up in the night, leave the baby with a sitter easier, not be in pain when your breasts engorge if she misses a feeding! I feel like I can sympathize now with a cow that has not been milked! And I can understand why formula was created rather than there being factories out there bottling pasteurized, homogenized breast-milk. It's a tough job, so it would be hard getting a lot of women to do it - especially since they wouldn't have their own cute snuggly little baby motivating their efforts. I - personally - have not had much success with breast pumps. Babies do it much better. Sierra started out like a pro! Probably partly because I gained some know-how through my experience nursing Lily. Despite the drawbacks - I'm still so glad I stuck with nursing! Thought I would share some of the things that helped/help me stick with and better breastfeed.

Lissy's Tips and Tools for Breastfeeding Your Baby:

Start out laying down! That is my favorite nursing position, and the easiest when you are recovering from giving birth. You would be amazed how heavy a tiny baby feels to support in your arms while they nurse - when you pushed them out not long before! A baby nurses best when lined up in a certain way on your breast. Keep her back and neck straight, it also helps to have her head a little higher than her tummy. A folded up blanket makes a good little pillow for her. The tough thing about this position is trying to stay awake. Reading a good book can help. Try to keep those eyes open! Make sure the baby is really drinking - don't let her suck just for comfort too long or you will be up all night and have very sore nipples! How to tell a baby is really drinking: You can hear it (like little puffs of air) and see them swallowing - sometimes you can even see the milk around their mouth. If you aren't really paying attention it can be harder to tell than you think.


Use pillows to support your arms comfortably so you can lean back and relax. Relaxing helps the milk flow. This was one of the best tips I got from a lactation consultant who came to my house for free (Don't be afraid to seek out advice!). Also from her - pull that baby's bottom lip out around your breast - gives them a better latch to really get the milk. Varying positions helps prevent sore nipples and probably also helps milk supply. My sister got me a "Brestfriend" breastfeeding pillow which I loved for my first. It really helped me as I got used to nursing my baby. Newborns can be so wobbly - it really helped for nursing in the football hold. I haven't used it as much this time now that I'm more used to breastfeeding because it can kind of get in the way when you go to burp the baby. At least the way I do it. But it was a lifesaver in the beginning!

 After nursing at the beach

When I first started breastfeeding it was such a shock to my small chest. Hot showers and heated rice socks were a must - haven't needed them so much this time, but I have faced some engorgement and clogged ducts all the same. If your breasts hurt - don't avoid it - get the baby to nurse as much as you can! Point their nose toward the pain. Experiment with different positions to get them that way. Massage it gently with a warm rice sock or while taking a warm shower and just get that baby to nurse until it's relieved! You don't want to get mastitis and you don't want you or your baby to get thrush from being on antibiotics. Never use antibacterial soap to wash stuff that goes in baby's mouth! And don't be overly concerned about sterilizing everything. Babies need good bacteria in their mouths to prevent thrush. If it's washed good enough for you to eat off it it's probably good for the baby too.

After experiencing a long battle with thrush with Lily I am very careful to change my nursing pads frequently, air out in the night with holey nursing undershirts, and wash my laundry with vinegar - which improves the smell of baby laundry too - the vinegar smell goes away when it dries. If you do get thrush getting some sunlight on you in a private place can help get rid of it too. Put absorbent waterproof mats under you when you sleep and change them out frequently to keep your bed clean and dry. To help prevent clogged ducts - when the baby nurses - let her fully finish one side before switching to the other. Wait until she pulls off and make sure it's at least 10 minutes on one before you offer the other. I use a stopwatch like timer called Itzbeen - designed to keep track of feedings, sleep and diaper changes. I used it more right at first to know when it was ok to switch sides, and how long it had been since I'd taken my last dose of pain medicine (or when I'd given Lily thrush medicine back in the day). Now I use it mostly at night to see how much sleep we are getting, and which of Sierra's stirrings to ignore. I love that thing - it has a handy flashlight too. I think these days there are apps that do the same kind of thing.

My Must-Have Breastfeeding Supplies:

Water proof mats
Nursing pads - I like Johnson & Johnson because I can just stick them inside my undershirt
'Brest friend' / supportive pillows
'Itzbeen baby timer'
Good burp cloths - there are some ridiculously tiny and non absorbent ones out there for sale!
Rice sock (I like these Bed Buddy ones - the handles don't get hot in the microwave)
Vinegar
Air
Sunlight
Breastmilk - rubbing it on your nipples after feeding is the best moisturizer for sore nipples & non toxic!
A husband who's willing to help in the night with burping (especially when your chest is hurting) and diaper changes (in between sides to wake the baby back up and so I can get a drink or go pee) Love you Mike!
The most important thing you need for breastfeeding is a sweet little baby like this one:


Love those chubby cheeks!

The happiest baby ever!
Oh yeah, she's worth it!

3 comments:

Julie and Matt said...

Lissy, You are such a great mom. I love nursing my babies too. Your little Sierra is so precious. Both your girls are extra cute. I'm glad things are going well with number 2.

Rachel Wattson said...

What a doll. Kudos for nursing! All of my babies have had a tough time so it's nice to see someone enjoying it. I enjoyed it when we had a good feeding it just wasn't all that frequent:(

Francesca said...

Yay for nursing! I love the side-lying position.