I have a lot of plans of things I want to get done before our anniversary and before Lily's birthday that I honestly probably just need to let go of. Maybe if I had a personal assistant, but on my own, and having to kind of baby my toe right now...there is just no way I can accomplish all the things that I'd like to do. Oh well, right!? Yeah...easier to say than to really let go.
I am debating about having a theme for Lily's party this year. In some ways having a theme is easier because you can just run with the idea and you have decorations, cake, invites all planned out...but I am concerned that with having one I will run too far... So I am wondering if I should just avoid it and concentrate on good food and laid-back fun - not so much on the decorations. You can come up with so many cute ideas with the help of the internet these days that it's hard to pick and choose. Some things I've come across online were definitely over the top! The parents probably took a lot of time and spent thousands of dollars decorating these parties, dressing up like characters and acting stuff out, buying food and candy and all for 2 or 3 hours when the child probably would have been happy just playing with balloons and running around with their pint size friends giggling over their own jokes. I asked Lily what she wanted for her birthday party and she thought about it with a pause, an 'Ummm...', and a finger up to her chin.... and then requested rainbow chip cake, and balloons. Good kid! - you've got it! I am debating between 2 themes or no theme right now, and I need to decide soon to get out the invites. Any thoughts or experience in this department is welcome!
I was cleaning off my desktop and found this file of 'Lilyisms' I'd recorded and never blogged about. --Just in the last couple of weeks so much has changed! I figured I'd better put it up or I'll forget about this little period in time, just keep in mind this is from December - the 4th to be specific (yay for file created dates!)
Resternaut instead of restaurant (- that still hasn't changed)
Singing:
Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam, for - ever!
...The little lord Jesus lay down his sleepy head...
"ABCDAFGHI-KLMNOPQRSTUVWXYandZ....say your abc's don't say, an ab seal is a abc!" (or sometimes "a dooby-c")
I got a Ziggy Marley cd and she is starting to sing along.
Sometimes she makes up songs of her own.
If I start singing along to a song she shouts "No, I say it!", but other times she still asks me to rock her and sing from the little children's songbook I keep in the side pocket of our glider chair.
She loves for Mike and I to "Feed me, when I was a tiny baby!" which is just to hold her cup to her mouth while she leans back in our arms to drink.
Can't open doors yet, sometimes I wonder if this should worry me, but mostly I thank my lucky stars. The other day when Mike was washing windows a little 2 year old baby was found walking down the middle of the road by herself blocks away from her home. It was lucky a lady spotted her and stopped to make sure she was safe, because she could have easily been hit by a car coming fast around the corner moments later. Don't worry - she made it home safe. I am just glad Lily isn't trying to venture out like that. I can still shut her in our room for a timeout if I need to.
I worry that she might be a bit lazy. Sometimes when she doesn't want to do something she says she can't walk, or "I can't reeach it - Aagh" - pretending to try, but not really trying, or "I'm too tired!" Ha!
She has imaginary boyfriends. 'Bunna' and 'Cone'. (At first we thought she was saying 'Colon'.) She met them at their houses. Lily wanted to go visit them at their houses one evening so Mike took her. It turns out neither one was at home. After they got back Lily called them on the telephone to see if they were home yet. They told Mike they were both at the store. They went together, so she couldn't go to see them.
She said she wanted to put on a show for Grandma and Grandpa, but she wouldn't sing Jingle bells, and she didn't want us to either. "Mom, I'm gonna go to our room to make my audition!
Thanks for playing with me Grandpa, I sure had fun!
"Dad, Mom's gonna get some cool music on, You'll like it!"
"Thanks, again mom!"
Sometimes I hear stuff I often say comin' out of her mouth: "Just in case..." and, "In case you change your mind."
Jesus wants me for a Sunbeam, for - ever!
...The little lord Jesus lay down his sleepy head...
"ABCDAFGHI-KLMNOPQRSTUVWXYandZ....say your abc's don't say, an ab seal is a abc!" (or sometimes "a dooby-c")
I got a Ziggy Marley cd and she is starting to sing along.
Sometimes she makes up songs of her own.
If I start singing along to a song she shouts "No, I say it!", but other times she still asks me to rock her and sing from the little children's songbook I keep in the side pocket of our glider chair.
She loves for Mike and I to "Feed me, when I was a tiny baby!" which is just to hold her cup to her mouth while she leans back in our arms to drink.
Can't open doors yet, sometimes I wonder if this should worry me, but mostly I thank my lucky stars. The other day when Mike was washing windows a little 2 year old baby was found walking down the middle of the road by herself blocks away from her home. It was lucky a lady spotted her and stopped to make sure she was safe, because she could have easily been hit by a car coming fast around the corner moments later. Don't worry - she made it home safe. I am just glad Lily isn't trying to venture out like that. I can still shut her in our room for a timeout if I need to.
I worry that she might be a bit lazy. Sometimes when she doesn't want to do something she says she can't walk, or "I can't reeach it - Aagh" - pretending to try, but not really trying, or "I'm too tired!" Ha!
She has imaginary boyfriends. 'Bunna' and 'Cone'. (At first we thought she was saying 'Colon'.) She met them at their houses. Lily wanted to go visit them at their houses one evening so Mike took her. It turns out neither one was at home. After they got back Lily called them on the telephone to see if they were home yet. They told Mike they were both at the store. They went together, so she couldn't go to see them.
She said she wanted to put on a show for Grandma and Grandpa, but she wouldn't sing Jingle bells, and she didn't want us to either. "Mom, I'm gonna go to our room to make my audition!
Thanks for playing with me Grandpa, I sure had fun!
"Dad, Mom's gonna get some cool music on, You'll like it!"
"Thanks, again mom!"
Sometimes I hear stuff I often say comin' out of her mouth: "Just in case..." and, "In case you change your mind."
Update: June 2011
Well Lily's imaginary friends didn't last long, but she loves to pretend and has been playing by herself really well the last couple weeks. Lately she loves to make pretend doors all over the house that she wants you to ring the doorbell and knock on before you pass through.
Now Lily will sing much more and even do hand motions. Some songs she loves to perform include: "One, Two, Buckle my Shoe" and "My 'Doggy' Lies Over the Ocean." I love that she will sing with me now (instead of No! I do it!) it is so much fun! It is one of my favorite things to sing with my girl. She has the whole "Soap and Water" song Evie sang at her school carnival memorized and just needs a little prompting to get going. She thinks the "Bringing home a baby bumblebee" song is hilarious right now and always wants to sing that with me when she's using the potty. She also loves the Farmer and the Dell and Old MacDonald -too much for my taste! Too repetitive. I could sing "Where is Thumbkin" 20 times right now and she'd still want to hear it again (it is new to her).
Lily sings the whole alphabet now and says "Now I know my ABC's..." at the end like everyone else does instead of her own little made up thing.Now Lily will sing much more and even do hand motions. Some songs she loves to perform include: "One, Two, Buckle my Shoe" and "My 'Doggy' Lies Over the Ocean." I love that she will sing with me now (instead of No! I do it!) it is so much fun! It is one of my favorite things to sing with my girl. She has the whole "Soap and Water" song Evie sang at her school carnival memorized and just needs a little prompting to get going. She thinks the "Bringing home a baby bumblebee" song is hilarious right now and always wants to sing that with me when she's using the potty. She also loves the Farmer and the Dell and Old MacDonald -too much for my taste! Too repetitive. I could sing "Where is Thumbkin" 20 times right now and she'd still want to hear it again (it is new to her).
![]() |
| Lily and her cousin Isaac performing during their fashion show |
She can open doors now (since we changed the locks -they were getting old and sticking).
I can't remember the last time she used being tired as an excuse or pretended not to reach something she didn't want to have to go get. I guess I didn't give in enough and she gave it up - Yay! She comes down the stairs on her own with only a little hesitation now instead of whining to be carried.
She'd still love to be fed "like when |she| was a tiny baby.." but we've been telling her she needs to eat like a big girl so it isn't as often.
She is a good kid, so sweet and smart - I feel lucky to be her mom!



5 comments:
I like how you've got some things to compare about how she's changed and grown! Fun!!! (I wish I had been better about that myself.)
As for the birthday parties, I'm a big fan of less is more. I never pick a theme, and we stick to simple decorations and food. My kids have always been happy enough to have cake and presents and a few games, as long as there is a pinata as well.
The good thing about going simple is that my kids haven't been disappointed because later parties haven't lived up to the grandeur of former ones. Sometimes those traditions can get out of hand....
I say go with no theme while she's still young enough to not care!
You know me, I love a theme!! : ) She only turns 3 once!
Thanks ladies! It always helps to get some different viewpoints when you're trying to make a decision. My mom always rotated a slightly bigger friend party with small family parties among each of us kids. I think that was a good way to manage it. I decided to use a simple theme because I just loved this Candy-land cake idea I found and I think it is fitting to Lily right now, but I don't plan to spend much time or money on decorations. It's pretty much going to be a bunch of colorful balloons and the cake. Lily is so excited - I know she'll be happy no matter what :)
I saw that cake in the Parent's magazine a few months ago. It is darling!! and with your skills, it is going to turn out even cuter!! Can't wait to celebrate!
Post a Comment