Today was such a gorgeous day we decided to head to the beach. It seems like most of the time every spare minute when Mike is not working is spent shopping. Probably typical for most families with one car. Well, we really needed to just get out and not do shopping, and it was so so nice. We headed out to Carlsbad and had a picnic lunch on the beach and then played in the sand. There was a cool breeze blowing that made it so comfortable to enjoy basking in the sun, but too cold to really get in the water. Mike and Lily still did a little bit. Mike can't bear going to the beach without getting in, and so far Lily is the same. I forgot to grab my camera when we headed out so no pictures from today, but it was worth recording the memory.
I always love to watch Lily and Mike playing together in the waves and building sand castles. Today they built drip castles and walked all over the place putting rocks and seashells in a little pink bucket. I was doing my favorite beach activity, reading and relaxing, but mostly watching my husband and daughter because I'd already read the book I'd brought. It takes a new book to keep me interested at the beach. Today some new sand had recently been trucked in so I was doing it in my very own fluffy sand chair. It so reminded me of this time when as a teenager I went out to the beach with my friends and the fresh sand was piled so high and then crusted - it was like little sand cliffs. We spent hours running and jumping on the edge of them so the edges would break off and we would fall onto the soft fluffy piles of sand they made at the bottom. And building houses and playing with the bamboo sticks that had piled up in one place on the shore. That was an awesome day too. Today when we were done at the beach we decided to go to Ruby's on the pier - Lily's favorite. By coincidence I ran into Derek who I had jumped off the sand cliffs with so long ago. I hardly ever run into any one I know so it was funny that I had just been remembering him and my old friends. Since I didn't have any pictures from today I thought I'd dig up some old ones of my friends Brandon, Derek and Chris jumping off the sand cliffs. Good memories.







3 comments:
Oh wow, such great old photos! I miss Chris.
You guys with your beach pictures keep making me so homesick!
I miss him too. Looking at that first picture with Chris I can just hear him clearing his throat and launching into some ridiculous dialogue in a high pitched voice. Such a character!
Post a Comment