Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Baby Steps

I loved this article that popped up on my blog list today. Sometimes I feel like I can't get anything done beyond the basics. Just taking care of my kids and keeping up with the laundry and dishes, homework and meal planning and preparation, add in showering and that can pretty much be all my time right there. Throw in a random health problem in the family and I pretty much want to go to bed when my kids do. I know it won't always be this way - I'm a mom to young kids! There's just a lot more hands on involvement in taking care of their needs, and it can be pretty exhausting! We're also very limited on space and $ -so my creativity can be pretty limited a lot of the time too. It's hard to want to get out a sewing project for instance when I don't dare leave it out around my littlest one (not that there is anywhere to leave it out), it takes a while just to get out, and I'm already wiped out by the end of the day...and I know I just have to put it up again before I go to bed! And if I try to stay up too late to work on stuff - I just don't feel as good or as patient with my kids the next morning. I may try and fake it, but if by some miracle my family doesn't notice...I feel the difference - and I don't like it. Some projects just aren't practical for me right now and I don't even make an attempt. But I believe that the more we try to do the more we are able to do. I liked a lot of the points she made in the article. Like how when you loosen your expectations it's a lot easier to try something new. Sometimes I need to downplay the perfectionist all or nothing streak in me to commit to something. It made me feel motivated to attempt a little more with my little bit of free time at night and maybe make a dent in my list of things I want to make and do, however little by little it takes me to actually get one done!

No comments: