Friday, March 8, 2013

First Foods

I checked out this book Baby Love from the library and have been making some homemade baby food for Sierra. She really liked the butternut squash. She does not like peas! Lily never did either. I actually came across it online when I was checking out valentine themed books for Lily and figured I could use a refresher, or let's face it - a better approach to introducing solids than however we did it with Lily. It turned out to be a book about making your own home made baby food. Sounded good to me. Bound to taste better and be cheaper than the store bought jarred stuff, and maybe Sierra wouldn't end up as picky as Lily! I started with the basics and loved the simple instructions that tell you just how many or what size of produce you need to buy, and ended up with 2 ice cube trays of each type of puree. To begin I made sweet potato, butternut squash, pear and applesauce with pomegranate juice for an extra little kick of nutrition, peas, and carrots. Lily even likes the pear and apple sauces and tried the sweet potato much to my surprise. Most of the recipes took hardly any time to make, and once frozen, it's so easy to just thaw out an ice cube of food to feed Sierra along with the baby cereals. I'm sort of jealous. The food smells and tastes really good - if only we could all eat so simply, quickly and nutritiously!

I'm loving homemade baby food!

I got a great tip from another mom I met at the park that I just love - about making my own yogurt melts by squirting little dabs of yogurt onto a sheet of wax paper and freezing it, then popping them off into a little container to store. I'd never thought of that - they sell freeze dried ones at the store. Sierra has not taken to yogurt the way Lily did as a baby, and even Lily doesn't really like it anymore. Well, the day I heard about it I made some to use up the Yo baby yogurt I had bought that it didn't seem like my kids were going to eat. That whole fat 'baby' yogurt is not cheap and I hated to see it wasted. Sierra loves being able to pick them up to feed herself, and even Lily likes them. I guess it tastes better frozen! I'm glad to have another easy pick up food for Sierra and to get some probiotics into both of my girls.



In the Soup

Anyway as we started getting low, and as Sierra is getting older I decided to make some more of the recipes. I checked out the book again, picked out a few different things to try and made a shopping list. This morning I started cooking. First I made some blueberry chocolate chip zucchini muffins because it had been a while and we love 'em! I love making healthy & delicious things for my family! Then when Sierra went down for her morning nap I busted out the stuff for "Alba's Chicken Soup." Lily was my little helper - until she decided to branch out into her own recipes for Lamby and Lisa's birthday party with my leftover veggie scraps. She was pretty interested watching me cook and de-bone the chicken and even wanted to start a little bone collection. I vetoed that, but was glad she wasn't as squeamish about the chicken carcass as I was most of my life.


Well, thank goodness Sierra took an extra long nap (hopefully I will not be paying for that tonight) because it turned out to be a long day of cooking! The chicken soup recipe they rave about in this book is packed full of vegetables! I had no idea how long it was going to take - or how much it was going to make! Just like the other recipes it ends with "..pour into 2 ice cube trays, wrap and freeze" I figured it would probably make a bit more soup that we could try too, or I could puree it all and have maybe double the amount to freeze, but I obviously didn't look and think about it that closely. By the end I had to separate it into 2 big stock pots and puree it batch after batch after batch in the blender to get it all done and a good consistency. My pot and the blender brimming with green chicken soup puree, I began to pour my trays. I only had 3 ready. I only have 4 total.



...Well, it's time to go shopping for more because with my three trays full I still had a full pot that filled up my largest Tupperware container! I don't want to dump that many ice cubes from the trays into freezer bags because I think by the time we get to use them all there will be too much freezer-burn. I certainly don't want to waste it! But that is a lot of the same kind of baby food to make and store and feed to one little baby who hasn't even tried it yet. I was so frustrated! All this work, all my efforts to save money and make nutritious food for my family and it wasn't even looking too appetizing! Mike was cracking jokes about inviting all my family over for dinner and telling me to take pictures so we could laugh about it later, but I was ready to cry. Ok, I did (briefly) cry. Sierra better learn to like this stuff because it is about to be her staple! It actually tastes pretty good if you add a little salt - I ate a whole bowl of it and wasn't grossed out - so I surely won't let it go to waste. And I feel a little more hopeful about the baby liking it after eating it than I did after seeing the bulk of it swimming there before me and her initial test face...
DRAMATIZATION

...but by the time we get through it - I'm not sure I will be making it ever again! Sometimes I feel like I just can't win. Seriously - I have too many stories of good ideas gone bad! But all is not lost - and I do love homemade baby food...we are just swimming in soup!


...And messes of toys, but they are worth it!


1 comment:

Francesca said...

I want to make my own food with this one too. Good tip about the pomegranate juice!