Friday, March 23, 2012

Pregnancy Ticker

When I was pregnant with Lily I could never tell you exactly how far along I was, I'd just refer people to my due date. This time I downloaded one of those pregnancy tickers for my desktop, and one for Mike's because quite often these days I can't stand sitting down at my computer and if his is on I'll just check a few things on it. So this pregnancy anytime someone asks me - I can tell them exactly how many weeks along I am and even how many days I have left (before the due date anyway - it would be heavenly to actually be done by that date!). It's been nice to know what week I am on when people ask me - I am confused by how it is calculated, but the ticker is jiving with what my mid-wife has been saying so I'm going with it. The problem with these pregnancy tickers is I don't just want the little message about what is happening with my baby to change once a week, I want it to change every day, scratch that - I want it to change every time I look at it! The rest of this pregnancy is looking really long to me right now!

Here's my baby belly at 33 weeks:


This week has been hard. I taught my last lesson in Relief Society at church before the baby comes (Ah, nice to not have to worry about that for a while), but since Sunday my back pain has been getting worse and worse. I can't get in a comfortable position. Walking, sitting, lying down...can't do any of those things comfortably for an extended period of time. When I do and I go to change positions the pain is excruciating. Mike moved our glider chair downstairs so I'd have a comfortable place to sit in our room, and then he walked over next-door to get a recommendation for a pregnancy massage from our friend who is also a massage therapist. I hope we can set up an appointment soon - I am in desperate need! When Mike called and left a voice mail with the lady to set up a massage - he started it out introducing himself and saying: "My wife is...10 and a half months pregnant..." I busted out laughing and set him straight saying nobody is ever 10 and a half months pregnant! He was thinking it was 12 months and subtracting back on how much time he thought was left. Thank goodness pregnancy doesn't last an entire year! According to some friends and random strangers I will probably look about 10 and a half months pregnant by the end of this. It is funny how many different perspectives people have looking at the same thing. I have been told everything from I'm "so tiny" to "Whoa! you're ginormous!" I tend to agree with the latter, but according to my midwife I'm measuring on target. So that gives me some comfort, but oh how I look forward to getting back to my normal self again.


Pregnancy is such a strange experience. It is so crazy and miraculous what our bodies can do! This time it seems much more real that there is a tiny individual growing inside me because I've been though having one come out and getting to know her. I'm getting pretty nervous about being a mother of more than one! It seems kind of sad to me knowing that I won't be able to give the same kind of attention to this baby that Lily got. Not that that might not be a better thing in many ways. Sometimes I think maybe I'll be a better mother of two than I am of one. It's just going to be such a different experience. I've been a mother to one for almost 4 years now! It's a big change, but an exciting one.



Lily has been such a dear especially these last few days. I'm so grateful to have her as my little girl! She's played so well on her own as I've tried to rest my back, and given me such sweet loving attention. Not that there haven't been moments, and time outs, but she is such a sweetheart! Now if only she will go to the bathroom on her own without saying she's too scared!

Me and my girls!
Catching a nap on what's left of mom's lap!

1 comment:

Heidi said...

You'll do great as a mom of more than 1! And every time you feel bad because the new baby isn't getting as much as Lily did, remind yourself that you are number four and you still turned out to be a happy, well-adjusted adult :-) And when you feel guilty because Lily isn't getting the attention she wants because of the baby, remind yourself that older kids survive younger siblings all the time, and they turn out the better for it (spoken as an oldest child:-)