Thursday, April 13, 2017

Simple Smoothies

Smoothies are a great way to get fruit and even veggies in, and to curb your craving for ice cream treats on a hot summer day. (In theory anyway...sometimes you just need icecream!)

I used to think you needed a little sherbet to make a tasty smoothie like they put in my favorite one at Jamba Juice, but in an effort to be healthier - I cut it out, and don't miss it a bit. If you haven't tried to make your own smoothie before - try these simple recipes. I usually just eyeball the amounts so these are approximations. They turn out slightly different every time, but always delicious!

Favorite Fruit Smoothie

1 cup frozen strawberries or peaches (Pick which flavor you want to stand out)
a few pieces of either strawberries or peaches (other than what you chose for the main flavor)
a few slices frozen banana
small squirt of honey (about 1/2 a tsp)
apple juice to blend 

Note: Sometimes I add a few raspberries or blueberries, or peeled pear slices. You can mix it up however you like. My family does not really enjoy the seedier berries in smoothies.


Favorite Green Smoothie

1 cup frozen green grapes
a few pieces frozen banana slices (about a half a small banana)
1 fresh pear washed and cut into slices, core and seed removed (you could do apple slices also)
1/2 cup fresh pineapple or 1 or 2 canned pineapple rings (optional)
1/2 a small cucumber peeled and sliced (optional)
a few baby carrots (optional -adds to the sweetness but does kinda make it a not as pretty green)
1-2 cups fresh spinach lightly packed
small squirt of honey (about 1/2 a tsp (optional))
apple juice to blend

WARNING: These will be big enough to share!

Prepping Your Ingredients:
I pretty much always keep smoothie ingredients on hand. 

I prefer to use frozen fruit and fruit juices to ice and water which I think water the flavor down too much. Fruit is already made up of a ton of water, and I also prefer the texture of frozen fruit to splintered ice. So I like to prep these things in advance.

Freezing bananas:
Slice a banana into circle sections and sprinkle lightly with a little sugar and lemon juice to keep them from browning. I do it on a paper plate and then slide them into a quart size freezer bag. Arrange in a single layer to freeze and they are easy to break apart a few sections at a time to use as needed. 

Freezing green grapes:
Wash and remove grapes from stems. Pat dry with paper towels or let air dry on your counter for a little while and store in large freezer bag. Don't worry too much if they are not completely dry - grapes are less apt to have problems sticking together.

Most of the other frozen ingredients I buy prepackaged, but when peaches are in season I sometimes pick some up and peel and freeze them in slices pretty much the same way I do bananas.

That's how I do smoothies! 

P.S. Follow the directions of your blender - Make sure the liquid gets down to the bottom, frozen items in small chunks next, and lighter items like leafy greens on top. Never stick your fingers in the blender! ;) 

No comments: