Friday, May 11, 2012

Who knew?

Who knew...

That after my OB visit last Thursday where the midwife reported no more progress than since the last week (half a centimeter and still long) that my water would break the next day!

Before
After
Who knew this little girl would be so cute!?

Baby Sierra
Lily was 10 long days (of on and off contractions and little sleep) late. I finally had to get pitocin to get her here, and I fully expected Miss Sierra to be overdue too, but sometimes nature has other plans. Sierra was born 1 day early - and I am so glad! For many reasons, but mostly that now instead of worrying what is going on inside my belly - I can just look at her to see that she is ok...and that I can just look at her! She is so beautiful! There is something about a tiny newborn.

So I guess Miss Sierra's early arrival was partly due to a full moon. The hospital was packed with women having babies! Extra nurses were called in, and they were even running low on stuff. But we lucked out and got to labor and stay in the same big private room with a view of lovely pine branches the whole time. Good timing, Sierra! I did get a low dose of pitocin to make the contractions work harder, but my water breaking was helping a lot with that and they eventually had to turn it off altogether. I also opted for the epidural. Best decision ever! I was so nervous about it, and after I got it I was shaking and couldn't stop for a while, but when that wore off I was good. I had to be monitored in bed anyway being on pitocin, and this time I was able to think, and know what I was doing when I was pushing, and enjoy my baby after she was born! It still hurt to push the baby out, but it was so much better! Last time I ended up getting a little bit of IV drugs to help me sleep - which was when I finally dilated enough for Lily to come out. I felt so out of it when I woke up and it was time to push right then - it was the most painful experience of my life, and I guess Lily was sunny-side up too. So I am a fan of the epidural. Thank heaven for modern medicine! The drugs don't pass to the baby either like the IV drugs probably do - so in a way it was a more natural delivery than last time. So grateful to my sister and sister in law and my mom and Mike of course for being there for me while I labored! I am so lucky to have such a wonderful family!!!

And here is the newest addition - pictures do not do justice to her sweetness. We are in love with this tiny little person!
Baby Burrito in the hospital bed
Lily sees her sister for the first time!




Such a sweet chill baby girl!
So tiny and precious!

3 comments:

brooke said...

what a PRECIOUS baby girl lissy! i'm in love with her! let's take some newborn pics of her!!

Heidi said...

Congratulations!!!!!

How is it adjusting to being a momma of two? Are you getting by?

Francesca said...

She is a cutie!